Looking for an answer to my buying problem...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by michaelaus, Sep 26, 2008.

1. michaelaus macrumors newbie

Here's the situation.

I'm a final year student in my last term of school. I'm going to university next year and it is an hour away, which I will be taking the train to - hence needing a laptop with a large battery life. My friends have Macbooks and Macbook Pros and I really do genuinely like them, I have read a lot of stories (some good, some bad) about them and I have decided that my next laptop will be a Macbook.

Before going out to make the purchase about a month and a half ago I came online to have a look if a newer model was coming out. This was because 2 of my friends' Macbooks have cracked and sometimes get heinous stains on the white. I thought these problems might be fixed in an update; sure enough there was the new aluminum Macbook to be released so I decided to wait.

However, it is getting to the point where I CANNOT WAIT. My current laptop is a HP Pavilion dv1000 - it is an absolute piece of crap that has served me well over the past two and a half years but is in desperate need of replacement. The 'n' button has been broken for about a year, in order to get it fixed I would have to get an entire keyboard replacement because the bracket is broken so I currently have to press a nipple. The speakers on the front are rusting. It is the SLOWEST computer you will ever find; it sometimes corrupts word documents and this is no good in a senior year. In fact, last term it somehow uninstalled Microsoft Word and then when I tried to reinstall it told me my product code was false and it was missing files. I find myself having to manually reboot (ie. holding down the on button) about 3-6 times per day because it locks up. The disc drive doesn't close properly. I can try and tell you all that is crap about this computer but the list goes on.

What should I do? Should I wait for the new model - should I buy the current model and risk it being replaced in 2 weeks time - should I buy the current model and sell it in a couple of weeks, and hopefully lose only around $300? The point is, I don't know how to deal with this computer any longer. and I have 2 massive history assignments to do.

Advice please.

2. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

3. michaelaus thread starter macrumors newbie

Two weeks of hell.

And nobody is sure that they will come out in 2 weeks anyway.

4. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Just wait the two weeks. A Mac isn't deliverance; it's a computer.