Looking for an apartment- help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Simgar988, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I'm looking for an apartment for the first time. What should I look for or look out for? Thanks

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you are replacing tenants make sure to ask them how big of an ******* your landlord is. Other than that I would just read the contract carefully. Call the utility companies and get an average for the bills on the property.

3. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

When you say read the contract carefully, what am I watching for?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Make sure there's nothing in it that you cannot, or are not willing to live up to. It'll save you a lot of pain. You can tell a lot about what type of person your landlord is from the contract as well.

5. iSavant macrumors regular

For example

lease termination provisions

Are you certain you will stay thru the whole lease?

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

For some small things, who is responsible for repairs, mowing the lawn, scooping the snow, etc. Termination reasons, whether you can have pets, how loud you can listen to music @ what times, etc. Basically anything they can use to evict you.

Like I said the best impression of a landlord is usually from tenants who are renting under them.

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Are you looking at local landlord owned apartments/houses/condos or are you looking at typical management company apartments where you live in a complex with neighbors. There's generally a big difference in between the two. As other's have mentioned a private local landlord may have much different restrictions based on the specific type of property. Major complexes usually follow pretty standard policies, but double check for specifics like number of parking spaces, parking violations, decorating restrictions, pet policies, etc. Complexes will usually have amenities that a private residence doesn't offer like a swimming pool, business center, exercise room, maintenance department available 24 hours etc.

There's a lot to consider, but always keep in mind the age old mantra, location, location, location. It will determine your associated costs and play a role in your lifestyle, i.e. can you walk to local businesses and shops or is everythind a drive.

Hope it all works out well. Keep us posted on what you do.