Looking for an app that displays photos/info while charging

Discussion in 'iPad' started by captainamerica, Aug 2, 2012.

1. captainamerica macrumors member

Hi, I'm looking for an app similar to Eyewitness Guardian: that is, an app that runs while my iPod is in it's dock charging, either displaying high resolution photos, news, weather, or something of that nature.

2. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

If you do find such an app and you have the "new iPad", you may find that it won't charge while the screen is on. In fact, it can lose charge while charging if it's in use. The charger is just not big enough for the battery.

3. captainamerica thread starter macrumors member

4. dchao macrumors 6502a

Can't you just set the lock screen to "never"?

5. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I surf the web and charge it at the same time sometimes, such as now. Just takes longer to charge is all.

Supposedly there are some apps that draw more power than the charger charges (certain games have been mentioned on this forum). Not sure that a photo, news or weather app would draw too much power.

For you own photos on the iPad you could use the photo 'screen saver' icon on the lock screen.

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The iPad charger is powerful enough. The iPhone charger and third party chargers might not be enough. A computer's USB port or a USB hub is definitely not powerful enough.

7. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

That hasn't been my observation. Apple essentially doubled the capacity of the battery (which is negated by the power hungry screen) but kept the same charger they've been using on previous models. The ones on display at the Apple store actually lose charge while using them. The 4 that I owned also didn't maintain charge while in use. The charger they supply is not big enough for the job.

8. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Hmmm, I've only come across one intense game that draw power while charging. Today I sat and caught up on 5 hours of TV online while plugged in, and the battery went up by 8% in that time. Also from my own observations of ALL the Apple stores I have been too, they ALWAYS maintain their charge....

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I can only point to articles that say it does charge, but very slowly.

Nevertheless, I'll concede the point to you since you have actual and substantial experience where I have nothing other than what I've read!

10. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

If you reduce the screen brightness to 50% or so, it will not use as much power and the charger will maintain. The Apple stores tend to have them all up at full brightness and the battery level actually drops while just poking around the screen. This was around launch time so I don't know if they've improved at all since then.