Looking for an app that finds unused big files.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ozzhead, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Ozzhead macrumors member

Im still kind of new to mac, i have my HDD almost full. What program should i use to find the realy big files i can delete? Ive done alot of video editing and what not so im sure i got some stuff i can delete just dont know where its at.

Thanks, Ozzhead

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

I don't know if one exists, but you can search for stuff according to type of file and file size... command-F will bring up a spotlight search window and you can add or remove as many search criteria as you want.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

None of these will tell you if a file is "unused"- you'll have to make that decision yourself.

4. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Yeah... they don't really tell you if they are unused... you just have to make some decisions.. like deleting old podcasts that are no longer wanted... or some duplicates of music...

I have been using sponge...
    http://sponge-mac.com/

Although... I think that since "Omni Disk Sweeper" has become freeware... it is definitely worth a look...!!!

5. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

if ur looking to free up some space on ur mac try slimtool. its a free version of xslimmer.if u can afford it go for xslimmer but if not get slimtool. saved me 3 gigs. also u can try drive genius. its 99 dollars but its driveslim feature is cool. im sure theress a free version

6. DanielKane macrumors newbie

Whatsize

Whatsize is the best app for what you're asking for I shaved a good 2 gigs of file using it

7. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

I second the spotlight search. If you use the right keywords, it can be very powerful. I only wish I knew what they were.... :D