Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soucyyyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Hi,

I'm looking for an app I can use while running. The app should allow me to play music (my iTunes playlists) and tell me the time every 5 or 10 minutes. To save battery I do not want the app to track my run using gps.

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions.

soucyyyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
I figured for listening to music I can just use the iPod functionality. So the only thing the app would need to be able to is to let me set many user specific timers. Once a certain time is up a sound should be played.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Look at MotionX GPS. It will do the time function (which I turn off). But you may be able to use that and turn off the GPS function.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
not sure if it covers everything you want, but I use runkeeper pro app a lot for walking, running, bike, .. etc.

I don't use any other features but a few, and I listen to music via the music app.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I'm in the market for a multi-timer, and came across this: MultiTimer

It looks like you can set a timer that will repeat automatically, among other things. I haven't tried it myself.

Regards,
Tom

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Check out ismoothrun

You can create custom activities and have the gps off for them. it will use the accelerometer if you want to estimate distance.

It also supports heart rate monitors and other sensors. (it also pulls in your weight from the withings site if you use their wifi scale).

I have a wahoo blue hr heart rate sensor that works great with this app with no need for a receiver with the iphone 4s.

You can play your music and you can have it tell you your stats (time, heart rate zone changes, cadence, etc) if you want.

Lots of customizations in the app.

Good user interface.

I think it's the best overall running app on the app store. Ive tried many.

soucyyyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Here you can set intervals you want a timer to go off at. It's designed for places like the gym, but you can set the rest to 0 and the number of rounds to a high number like 999 to make sure it keeps repeating. It's also free.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/advanced-interval-timer/id480489494?mt=8

Thank you. That works almost as I need it. Although it would be awesome to be able to set totally different intervals. Like 3,6,2,9 min and so on. But the app is a good start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.