Looking For An App

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ®îçhå®?, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Hi guys,
    I was just wondering if any of you know how to put an application on the desktop level so that when i use exposé, it stays fixed in place. Any help would be great.
    Thanks

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So that what stays fixed in place? Explain a little bit more.
    And I don't know of any apps that interact with Expose.

3. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

So if you have an application like Amnesty Widget Singles, you can set the widgets to "desktop level" so that when you press F11, the window stays in place and does not interact with it. I think it can be done with adium but im not sure

4. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

5. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I'm not looking to put widgets on the desktop but applications. That developer mode for widget creation brings widgets from the dashboard but it puts it on top of all windows which is exactly what i don't want to do

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So you want an app to be visible, but in the background? And doesn't move when Expose is activated. Gotcha. I imagine this is so you can look at the desktop (with Expose) to see whatever App you have stuck there. I'll have to think about this one.

7. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

8. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I don't know about software to do that, but alternatively there are the Option + Cmd + H = "Hide others," and Cmd + Tab = "Switch app" commands? Probably not what you're looking for, but it would work.

9. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Yeah i know about them but it is more if an app is in the background behind other apps, "hide others" would not work and i actually want them on desktop level. I think that it has something to do with cocoa that lets you do it

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I've been trying to think of anything that I've come across that would allow this. I know GeekTool allows for sticking things on the desktop but that is mainly terminal/UNIX outputs, not apps. What app(s) are you trying to stick to the desktop exactly?

11. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Thinks like Toast and Statoo. I'll have a look at GeekTool, any work around would be good

12. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Right, another one to keep you guys memories ticking over. I used to have a preferences pane that allowed windows to create tabs on the sides of the display when dragged to the side. Does anyone know what it is called?? I can't remember but it involved the colour pink on the pane.
    Thanks

13. ShadowSpandex macrumors member

StickyWindows

14. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Thats the one. Thanks