Looking for an application to do backups of iPhoto library to external drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobbywillmes, Dec 20, 2009.

1. bobbywillmes macrumors newbie

Ive been building up quite the iPhoto library, about 12,000 photos; and it will be growing much more as I just got a new camera. I always have the scary thought of losing photos, I need to start backing up my photos.
    I am looking for an application that will be able to do a backup of my photos to my external hard drive (160GB).
    My iPhoto library is currently just under 38GB. I would like to be able to plug in my external drive to my macbook about once a month and run some kind of application to backup my whole iPhoto library to the external...
    Oh and I would really like it to be a GUI, I don't really like working in terminal.
    Does anything like this exist?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or newer you can use Time Machine and exclude all the other files you don't want to backup.

There is also Carbon Copy Cloner. http://www.bombich.com/

3. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

time machine will do what you need, you'll have to manually exclude everything though. or i think you can tell it to just back your personal directory.
    its automatic and runs in the background as long as the usb drive is connected.

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Another vote for Time Machine, and why the heck would you only do it once a month? Would you really be happy to lose a months worth of photos?

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

For a one-off backup like this, Time Machine might not be the better answer. TM only has one backup setting, correct? So s/he'd have to eliminate it for all other backups. That might not be optimal.

You might want to consider something like SyncTwoFolders or BackupList. Both are free.

mt

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Use CCC. It'd be a huge pain to exclude everything but the library from TM.

7. jontucker macrumors 6502

Errrr, what's wrong with Finder? If you're only going to backup your iPhoto library file, you can do it in about 5 clicks.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because CCC (or TM, or SuperDuper) can save loads of time by doing incremental backups after the initial backup.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For offiste backups (using a portable HD) I use CCC, I found it a much better tool then Time Machine. I still use Time Machine but only for those times I deleted (or altered) a file I wished I hadn't.

For those times I truly mess up the system, I use CCC for the restore because the restore process is much faster then TM. I did a TM restores once, and it took in excess of 8 hours, where as CCC only took 2 hours.

10. jontucker macrumors 6502

We're talking about quite a small amount of data by todays standards. 40Gb would take just over 10 mins on USB2, there isn't that much time to save!