Looking for an audio interface for home recording $500-$800range.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by BeyondMountains, Mar 11, 2008.

1. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

I'm down to this so far: m-audio 2626

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...2626-main.html which will be retailing for about 699. comes with octane preamps.

do you think i can get better quality purchasing something else in that price range?

ill be recording guitar,bass,vocals,drums using mainly logic pro but also protools m-powered.

Other than that does anyone have any suggestions on mics and monitors or anything else i will be needing to lay down some decent quality tracks.

thank you all.

2. Ptown Bopper macrumors newbie

Take a good look at Apogee's Duet at $495:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet.php

I bought one merely to use as an interface between my home audio system and my computer. Apogee is know for superior DAC's and I will attest that hooking up this little beauty made for the best sound I ever heard coming out of my system (running it straight into my Hafler power amp to a pair of Alon II's).

I'm also going to use it for small projects using Logic (and will probably end up throwing my MOTU away if the sound quality is as dramatic a difference, and will have to pony up $1800 for their Ensemble).

3. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

hey, thanks for the reply.
    that looks neat but im looking for something with a little bit more inputs to record drums or i guess i would be able to convert two of the mics to xlr for a total of 4mics for drums.

4. Ptown Bopper macrumors newbie

... or get a little mixer http://www.behringer.com/UB802/

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

NOOOOO ... not behringer ....

RME fireface 400 (or 800) ... would be a great choice ...

or apogee ... but NOT behringer...

6. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I've made really good experience with Echo Audio products. They have several models in your price range. The technical specs, as well as Mac driver support and stability are excellent!

- Martin

7. Ptown Bopper macrumors newbie

Was recommending an inexpensive little mixer, not an interface.....

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

you were recommending crappy preamps

9. oban14 macrumors 6502a

I recently purchased a MOTU ultralite and really like it, but I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff, so you might want to defer to some of the other clowns around here. Good luck!

10. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

MOTU is great kit.. Sounds good, and is well built so will last for years too. Some good new features on their latest gear too.

I've been running a firewire 828 MK1 for years now. It still sounds great and has never let me down once. So it will be around in here for a few more years yet im sure.

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

one thing that bugs me is that motu doesn't give away their specs for their firewire hardware ... if you're proud of your gear, show it off ...

12. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies,
    do you guys have any reasons that what your posting is better then whats in my originally post or is it all just personal opinion?
    keep the suggestions comming.

13. DJJONES macrumors 6502

i use motu traveler 849$ it can be powered off a 6 pin firewire port and is very portable. sound quality is excellent much better then the m audio 1010lt which i owned previously. 4 mic pres and u can use the unit without having a computer to control the mixing.

14. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Personally speaking, MOTU products have far out-shined M-audio products coming from personal experience. I also tend to dislike all of the M-audio drivers that I have used over the years, not to mention that MOTU has a very good reputation in the audio market. My M-audio FW410 (and my Presonus Firepod) does not sound as good as my other MOTU gear (828 mkII and Ultralite). Thus my FW410 and the Firepod have since found other homes.

Aside from personal experience, the MOTU Ultralite has all the goodies of the Profire 2626, except for the size. To some, rack mount-ability is a positive, but for people like me that are doing many live performances, carrying their gear around often, etc. a small, but full featured interface like the Ultralite is very welcome. Also the Ultralite has a built-in display, which really does come in handy while troubleshooting, setting levels, etc.

For you, I guess the downside is you want to use PT M-powered, and thus are locked into M-audio. :(

15. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

< waiting to hear zims reply>

I love my apogee duet! If you need more inputs can you get an external mixer or something?