Looking for an easy way to clean up system files (.DS_Store, ._)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gumbyx84, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I've been running into issues with my PSP and MP3 player related to hidden files OS X leaves behind after access a volume and copying files, specifically ._ files. When playing files in a folder, the player confuses these as actual MP3 files and tries to play them. I know there are a few scripts and apps strewn about the next net, but I keep reading random post and reviews saying they are dangerous to use as they do not specifically "target" FAT or NTFS volumes. The only app I can find that seems to have any backing BlueHarvest, but it cost $17. Are there any "safe" apps out there of or am I better off manually deleting them when I see they are causing a problem?

2. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

First off, I said I've already done some research. Posting random links from Google doesn't really do me any good. I know how to manually delete the files (said it in first post). DS_Store Cleaner hasn't been updated since 2005 and seems to be a legacy (PCC) app.

I have looked into AppleOff, but that is one of the apps I have read conflict report of. Also it doesn't "target" windows-only file systems (FAT* and NTFS) which is important to me. I have also looked into Hidden-cleaner, Optimusb, and BlueHarvest. The only one that "targets" only FAT and NTFS volumes is BlueHarvest. I am asking if anyone knows of another trusted app that has similar functionality.

3. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Download the appropriate version of Maintenance for the version of OS X you are using and run the rebuild display of folder contents script.

4. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

How will that get rid of the hidden files?

5. GGJstudios, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I never once mentioned remote shares. While .DS_Stores is something I want to get rid of, I am more concernered with the ._ files that sometimes show up when I copy files to a FAT or NTFS volume.

Yes I know I can manually search the volume for any ._ files and delete them using a bash, pearl, or apple script. That is not what I am asking for. I am asking if there is an app that can do it automatically for me. Why can't I just get an answer to that? svkrzn at least gave me the name of two apps.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't suggest that you did. That's why I said:
    I was providing an additional resource of information related to your topic. If you don't need the resource, don't use it.
    The point is, you don't even need a script to do that. It's a simple search, Command-A to select all the search results, and delete.

You initially asked:
    If you don't want any manual deletion suggestions, perhaps you should have said, "I don't want to delete them manually. I only want to delete with an app."

Your critical attitude toward those who take the time to respond to your thread isn't appropriate, whether you like their suggestions or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.