Looking for an external battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Theone0581, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Theone0581 macrumors member

Hey guys, I am the market for an external battery that I can leave in my car and use it when I need it. I don't want to pay a whole lot of money. I just need something that I can charge leave in my car and when I come into a situation where my phone is going to die and I need to use the GPS or make a phone call I can just plug it in and be good.

I found a few on Amazon, but I showed lights that indicated that it was fully charge. My concern with those is that they won't hold a charge an extended amount of time. I need one that I can keep charge and not worry about it running out of juice within a few months of not using it.

Any suggestions?

PS: My cig lighter doesn't work.

2. hafr macrumors 68030

If you want high quality battery cells, you need to pay for it. If you don't want to pay for it, you'll get low quality battery cells.

It really is that simple :) Get a cheap one off of eBay for a few tenners and make sure to charge it if you haven't used it for a month or two, or buy a quality battery pack that you can leave for twice as long before you'll need to charge it...

3. Theone0581 thread starter macrumors member

lol. Okay thanks. I am willing to spend up too 35 dollars (maybe more) if that helps. I just need a few suggestions on which would brands work best for my situation.

4. hafr macrumors 68030

My guess is for 35 bucks you're stuck with the no name-batteries on eBay. Just pick a seller with a good reputation :)

Another option could be to check out Kickstarter, if you've got time to wait. Sometimes they've got really awesome things that you can get really cheap if you're fast enough.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You're not going to get anything worthwhile with 35, just buy another charger.

6. Theone0581 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, assuming that price is no issue... what would you guys suggest? A model type would be nice.

7. hafr macrumors 68030

I trust Mophie. I don't know if they're the best, but I've used their products and I haven't had a problem. I can't recall having heard anything bad about the actual batteries either...

http://www.mophie.com/iPhone-5-Power-s/119.htm

8. Theone0581 thread starter macrumors member

The mophie juice pack looks very promising! thanks!

9. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

I carry a 10,000 mAh Anker Astro3E battery pack in my bag. I use to charge my iPhone and ipad.

Check it out!

10. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Looking for an external battery

I have this:
    Anker Astro E4 13000mAh External Battery Pack Portable Power Bank Charger for iPhone 5, 4S, 4, iPad 4, 3, 2, Mini, iPods; Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Note 2; HTC One, EVO, Thunderbolt, Incredible, Droid DNA; Motorola ATRIX, Droid; Google Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10; LG Optimus [Lightning Adapter not included for iPhone 5] [3 mobile phone connectors] - Black
    http://amzn.com/B00BQ5KHJW

Anker® Astro3E 10000mAh High Capacity Power Bank Pack Portable External Battery Charger for iPhone 5, 4S, 4, iPad 4, 3, 2, Mini, iPods; Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Note 2; HTC One, EVO, Thunderbolt, Incredible, Droid DNA; Motorola ATRIX, Droid; Google Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10; LG Optimus; PS Vita, GoPro (Dual 5V 3A USB Output) [4 cellphone connectors included, 0.6 inch slim design, customized for Apple & Android Devices, Lightning Cable not Provided for iPhone 5]
    http://amzn.com/B009USAJCC

Using the Astro E4 I charged my iPhone 5 3 times and i still appears to be fully charged after 3 weeks. This battery holds it charge for a long time. The astro 3E would be the same thing but a smaller battery. Do not get a battery case!! Those cases are really expensive and can only charge your iPhone a little bit more than once. You can an astro E4 for $47/ half the price of a mophie.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2