Looking for an external screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kushed, Mar 27, 2011.

1. kushed macrumors regular

Can anyone give me some good monitors to look at? Im really not picky at all about it. I want the resolution to be a minmum of 1080p, but id really like to have something aover 1200. Size isnt a big concern either...(between 21-27) is fine. my price range is about 500$. thanks for the heads up! also, should i go lcd, led, plasma? do they even make plasma monitors?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What is it going to be used for? For 500$, you can't get anything better than a 1920x1200 monitor. 2560xSomething monitors are close to 1000$. If you want something with IPS panel and thus great colors and viewing angles, take a look at Dell U2410 for instance.

3. kushed thread starter macrumors regular

its going to be used for school work. i want monitor to be for "play" while the other for "work" =D. kind of like spaces but with a bigger screen. and My friends have recently started to play a few games on the computer and im thinking about playing CoD on my mac. So im looking at a thousand for a good high quality monitor? what size would it be?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Monitors with 2560xSomething are 27" or 30". I wouldn't use such huge monitor for gaming though because driving that many pixels requires a lot horsepower, so you would have to sacrifice graphic settings to be able to use that resolution.

I would just get a cheap-ish 1080p monitor. Won't cost you more than 200$ and will be more than fine for gaming and other basic usage.

5. kushed thread starter macrumors regular

would you recommend lcd plasma led laser etccc?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are no plasma monitors. All these LED displays are still LCD, the backlight is just LED instead of CCFL. I would get one with LED backlight as they cost about the same nowadays but the difference isn't that huge really.

This is the top-seller in NewEgg. Here is similar display with LED backlight.

7. kushed thread starter macrumors regular

saw this on the dell site.. "High brightness of 250cd/m2 (typical) provides Excellent and Clear Image Display" is 250 good? how high would you recommend i look at

8. selvage macrumors member

i just picked up a Dell 23" IPS 2311h on sale for 239.00. they go on sale often. i considered buying the 24" version but he price difference for that extra inch isnt worth it to me and my needs. i can use the money to buy something else. excellent bang for your buck IMO.