Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bbeelzebub

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2015
So, recently upgraded my FIOS to 500/500. I can get the speeds if I'm hardwired in via ethernet but not on Wifi. After hours of trouble shooting, I believe the problem is the built in Wifi Adapter is not capable of handling the speed. My MBP and my iPhone both connect on wifi fine and get the 500/500 speeds, but my iMac will not.

Anybody recommend one that might be a good candidate?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I can get the speeds if I'm hardwired in via ethernet but not on Wifi. After hours of trouble shooting"

Question:
Is the iMac located where it's able to use a wired ethernet connection?

If so, why not just leave it wired and use it that way?
After all, you're already getting the desired speeds "with the wire".
Why bother with wifi?

Fishrrman's credo of computing:
Use what works for you, and ignore what doesn't...

Bbeelzebub

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2015
The distance isn't very far... in fact, it got full speeds up until the upgrade. The issue is probably the router. I'm going to replace it with a better router and see if I can get it working better. Wired it gets the full speeds, but I can't run a cable through the walls and floor. Its actually in the room right above the router. I think the router tops out at 300/300 for wifi I the problem, maybe not the wifi adapter in the Mac. :(

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
Which iMac, MBP, iPhone? Which Wifi router? What were the distances between the router and the devices when you ran the tests?
Definitely going to need answers to those questions. If your other devices can get that speed, it's likely the router is okay since that means it's putting out an ac (Wi-Fi 5) connection. If your Mac does not have Wi-Fi 5, and is limited to b/g/n, that would mean it's not capable of getting the same speeds.

SO, before you replace that router, what iMac do you have?

Bbeelzebub

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2015
I have a late 2013 iMac 27". I'm using AC. From what I've been reading, it is incredibly difficult to get 500mbps speeds over wifi in general. I went and bought a different router and got the same speeds (Netgear Nighthawk). It seems anything over 300 mbps is just not going to happen over wifi in my house unless I'm right next to the router. I moved my MBP (2017) next to the desktop and only got 30 mbps more in speed.

I'm having my ISP (Frontier) come out on Tuesday and run an ethernet cable directly to the iMac. I have coax cables running all along the back of my house under the overhang, so may as well have them add an outdoor Cat5e cable along with the coax and into the room upstairs. There is already an old road runner cable coming through in the exact spot, so It should be simple. Hopefully they don't rip me off for 40 minutes of work. I'd do it myself, but.... I'm ridiculously clumsy and would probably fall through the attic, off the ladder or something. LOL

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
From what I've been reading, it is incredibly difficult to get 500mbps speeds over wifi in general. I went and bought a different router and got the same speeds (Netgear Nighthawk). It seems anything over 300 mbps is just not going to happen over wifi in my house unless I'm right next to the router.

WiFi performance is dependent on a lot of factors, interference being a big one. On your Mac hold down the option key while clicking on the WiFi icon and select Wireless diagnostics. In wireless diagnostics choose Scan. In my case I see 46 WiFi networks so it is unlikely I'll get an optimal speed. Running speed tests just seconds apart can also give radially different results. I got 515 Mbps on one test, then 98 Mbps just a few seconds later. This was right next to my router. That number then decreases the farther away I am from the router.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com does a lot of router testing if you haven't been there.

Is there a reason you need more than 300 Mbps?

Bbeelzebub

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2015
WiFi performance is dependent on a lot of factors, interference being a big one. On your Mac hold down the option key while clicking on the WiFi icon and select Wireless diagnostics. In wireless diagnostics choose Scan. In my case I see 46 WiFi networks so it is unlikely I'll get an optimal speed. Running speed tests just seconds apart can also give radially different results. I got 515 Mbps on one test, then 98 Mbps just a few seconds later. This was right next to my router. That number then decreases the farther away I am from the router.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com does a lot of router testing if you haven't been there.

Is there a reason you need more than 300 Mbps?

Eh, not really. I just like to get what I'm paying for. I ended up having an ethernet cable run to a second computer. Frontier did it for me for 85 bucks. Simpler than me doing it.

It's strange because when I had 25,50,75,150 or 200 MBPS service, I always got full speeds on wifi in my house. Nothing has changed at all other than I went to 500 MBPS service. (Frontier offered 500 service for less than my 200 was is the reason we have it.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.