Looking for an honest critique...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by chainprayer, Mar 3, 2009.

1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I have my site up and running perfectly. I have been receiving hits to my home page, but not many people have signed up. Google Analytics shows that I have an extremely high bounce rate.

What suggestions would you have for my site (mainly my home page)? Different wording? Additional content?

I would appreciate any feedback you may have. Be as brutal as you would like! Don't worry about offending me. If you're thinking it, everyone else probably is too!

:D I really appreciate your help!

-link-

2. roski11 macrumors regular

Right off the bat, the blue BG is kind of strong on my screen. After a while it hurts my eyes.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, my first thought is one of a technical nature-- I see that the page displays the following information:

"What Information Do You Collect?

So far we know this about you just from your visit (to?) this page:
    IP address: 24.63.157.208
    City: (Unknown city)
    Latitude:
    Longitude: "

That does not really give me a whole lot of confidence that (if I were to register) the service would do any good, since I am in the largest city in the state and it displays no usable information! Somehow just knowing the computer is in the United States doesn't really help. :(

In addition there is something that makes me uneasy about the site but I have not put my finger on it yet. I suspect that it has something to do with the the wording of the site purpose or something like that in this day of privacy concerns- and will update my comments when it hits me as I really don't mean to leave a comment with no basis.

4. RoninXI macrumors regular

Wrong info

The site says this is my info:

IP address: 75.187.219.37
    City: Vallejo, CA
    Latitude: 38.1075
    Longitude: -122.264

city, lat and long are all incorrect (I am in Ohio) and I don't use a proxy I have had other sites nail me down to the city. Though it is a good Idea unless you can get it more accurate than that I would not start advertising it. First impressions etc, etc...

I also agree with the blue it is over powering, it is hard on the eyes long term and that could deter people since it can come across as an advertising site :/

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

You need to provide two things on your main page:

1. What Is TechRetriever? You need to present the information quickly and visually - without lots of 10px text. If they want the details they can click for more information. You're after speedy delivery of information on the main page.

2. How Do I Sign Up? You need to plainly show people they need to sign up, how to create an account or how to sign in.

3. Is the Site Safe? Make it very plain that your service is secure and safe.

The site kind of looks like a side project right now - which will discourage people from taking it seriously or from trusting it completely (that's not to say I'm not questioning your abilities or the safety of the product, however). If you're serious about doing this as a business venture, consider hiring a designer to create the site professionally. Given that your business is internet-based, don't skimp in this area.