Looking for an image converter

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by largefarrva, Apr 27, 2013.

1. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

I just bought a new Kenwood head unit for my truck, and I would like to change the splash image (background) to a custom image. So I'm in need of an image converter that can convert to 16 bit R5G6B5 bmp files. If anyone knows of a good app that can do this for me (that is cheap or even free) I would love to know about it. Thanks in advance.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're on the latest version of OSX, Apple's Preview app can do just that - convert a BMP to JPG or PNG

I've also used GraphicConverter (it used to be bundled with macs) but on the MAS its a bit pricey.

Pixelmator does this and its a powerful image editing tool as well.

3. largefarrva thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've seen that Preview can convert images to bmp but for some reason I need to make sure that they are converted to 16 bit R5G6B5 bmp files or I risk bricking my new head unit.

I found a program called GIMP that can convert it, but when I save it to my desktop and try to open it up to make sure it still works nothing is able to open it up. Not even GIMP that was used to create it....so I don't know if it's botching up the conversion or something. One would think you should be able to open it back up if you just created it with that program. Maybe I'll have to break out my old windows machine to get this to work... /sadface