Looking for an inexpensive but good external RAID harddrive...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Canubis, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Canubis macrumors regular

Canubis

Hi,

I am looking for an inexpensive but good external harddrive with RAID functionality, so I can automatically mirror all my data.
    I want to connect it to my Mac mini in my living room and use it for videos, music etc. I'd prefer a FireWire disk for greater speeds and daisy chaining.

I found the Western Digital MyBook Studio 2TB to be a very interesting option. Can you adivse me to buy this one? How is it's performance? If you have it, are you satisfied with it?

Do you have other/better options?

2. Marsil macrumors member

I use that one - it works great... it fast enough - I use it with Firewire but you can use it with sata as well. I use it in mirror configuration but it come default as stripped. It very easy to change the drives as well and it VERY quite.

3. Canubis thread starter macrumors regular

Canubis

Well that sound great! Thanks for your reply, Marsil!

Although the Mac mini I would use it with does not have a eSATA connection port, it is good to know to have this future standard supported.

What do you use it for? Also Video? When using EyeTV to simultanously compress a recording while scrolling through another recording to look for ads to cut out, EyeTV gets a bit sluggish on displaying the thumbnails of the recording. This is when both recordings are placed on the buildt-in harddrive of the Mac mini which I suppose is a 5400rpm one.
    I think this will greatly improve when the recordings are stored on the MyBook Studio as FireWire 400 should be faster than the access to the slow buildt-in disk. Am I right about this?

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I'll chime in with a vote for a refurb lacie 2big. We use it for our iTunes library and it's been a champ.

5. Marsil macrumors member

I use it as backup and photos so I cant really comment on speed with video.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I use a Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo (2 x 1 Tb), it's a NAS so it's a little more pricey than straight USB or FW. Works great, though.