Looking for an inexpensive laptop solution

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AnotherVenue, Jan 17, 2008.

1. AnotherVenue macrumors newbie

My business is web based, so all in all I really just need something that will run Firefox well. However, I also would very much like to use GarageBand and sync my iPod.

I will be doing some presenting with the mac, so I need video out capabilities.

My first thought was the Pismo, as they are notorious for being well made and upgradeable, however, is that legacy coming to an end? Most Pismos I see dont have any upgrades, so if I score I nice one for say 100 dollars, I immediately have to drop $50 for an Airport Card, and $100 to Max the RAM.

I love everything about the Pismo, but the question is should I do that, or should I buy something like a G3 or 4 iBook?

Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a Pismo vs an iBook?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd suggest a MacBook Core Duo. The Pismo is nearing 8 years old and the iBook is sluggish under Leopard. When you start looking at the higher end iBooks you're already in MacBook territory.

3. AnotherVenue thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not looking to really spend a lot, preferably under 500 dollars...I mean, this is for a few simplistic tasks, not my main machine. I mainly need it for web presentations.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

mmm.... Acer aspire 3680? $400

5. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

stay away from the pismo. Even if you get one that is working, it's definitely nearing its end of life, and they are surprisingly heavy.

After upgrading you are looking at 200 or 250...

If I were you i'd look for a g4 ibook. You can get one for about 400 (I got one for about that much a few months ago...) on ebay in good working order with airport and everything.

That should last you for a while. Get one at 1ghz + for that much and still be light and portable. You are looking at a 12inch screen for that price, which is pretty nice but still small.

Definitely my pick. I'd go with Tiger on it, it runs like a dream with dashboard turned off.

6. AnotherVenue thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate this advice. I was looking around and saw that PowerBooks in that range are about that price, are there any advantages/disadvantages to going that route?

Also, is there an option for video out on ibooks?

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I don't see why PPC is a good idea from today forward.

8. AnotherVenue thread starter macrumors newbie

I dunno, probably because it is within my budget?

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, I did mentioned acer aspire 3680, $400.00
    Celeron M 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB

oh, lol, unless you really just need a mac...I made the recommendation since there is no any modern mac in that price range...:)

10. AnotherVenue thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I dont really NEED a laptop in general, it would just work better for presentations in my business.

I am not interested in running a windows machine anymore. I switched to Linux for 2 years then came back, and I am just not happy with Windows (or Linux for that matter) and I want to use the alternative. I havent been able to really use a Mac since OSX beta.

11. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Yeah... the powerbooks are fine too. Smaller and lighter as well. A 12 inch powerbok for that price would only be running at 867 or 1ghz though, but since you don't need power, then yeah, perhaps a powerbook would be a better fit for you.

Definitely check out the g4 powerbooks. You can definitely find one is pretty good shape for 400 or 450. Check craigslist as well as ebay. I think you'll get better prices there.

Someone is selling a g4 ibook here though too, so check out the marketplace.

If you can get a ibok or powerbook g4 for under 500 (i'd try to pay closer to 400) then go for it. It'll last for a while and run Tiger really well.

12. weckart macrumors 68040

I can't wait to see someone try to run Garageband on a Pismo. That will be fun.

Not the best app for an iBook, either, if the truth be told. Particularly if you are on a tight budget. I have had both laptops and they are not really powerful enough to do any serious work with today's apps.

Pismos are robuster than anything Apple has made since - but woefully underspecced to run anything demanding. Possibly only worth considering if you have OS9 apps you cannot do without.

If your budget is really low, you should look perhaps away from laptops

13. AnotherVenue thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, maybe I can push my budget a little bit higher as I would like to run the iLife apps as well as I could and possibly be able to run Leopard.

In your opinion, what would be the best place to start to run Leopard, a Macbook?

14. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

I run Leopard just fine on my 12" iBook G4 with 1 gig of ram. I'm not sure how well presentations work, i.e. the kind that you beam on a screen, but every other piece of software, incl. Office 2008, runs pretty well on it. I'll probably be keeping it until the next version of OSX makes it obsolete.

P.S. whenever people ask for a low-budget mac, people on this forum always try to upsell them a mac way over budget. Beware of the hype, a G4 will meet your needs just fine. You'll have to find one though…

15. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Sorta in the Same boat...

I'm looking for decent older laptop as well. I'm willing to spend more than you, but I posted about a G4 17" 1.67 PB for $1199 and was essentially told it would be waste of my time... I've currently got a Macbook, great machine by the way, but my wife's iBook died and she's been eyeing my MB. My iMac is our/my machine but my wife likes couch surfing. I'd need it to run 10.5, iLife and Elements 6.

I've looked at Macofalltrades.com, techrestore.com or Powermax.com

Good luck, I'd check Macofalltrades first...

Coachingguy

16. AnotherVenue thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, when I do a presentation, it will be mainly just a web browser on the screen. I wont need to use Office or anything like that, the biggest thing would be Skype and the iLife apps...mainly Garageband performance.

I have a great offer on a 1.42 G4 iBook with 1gig, so do you think that may suffice for the most part?