Looking for an iPad 1 for my kids

Discussion in 'iPad' started by techdeals, Aug 4, 2015.

1. techdeals macrumors newbie

Does anyone know where i can buy one lightly used? Just something under $100 for my kids

2. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Why an iPad 1? You can probably got an iPad 2 or probably even the iPad 4 for cheap. An iPad 1 must be horribly slow these days and your kids will get bored waiting. :D

If you're worried about it getting wrecked, there's some incredible tough cases for iPad that I've seen around in the wild. Huge colourful cases with extra handles and drop protection.

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

4. TheKevinFang macrumors member

Yep, stingy parents for days.

5. quackers82 macrumors 6502

I would really try and go for an iPad 2 instead of an iPad 1 if they are not much more. The iPad 1 will be stuck on iOS 5, the iPad 2 is getting this years iOS 9 and is still a very capable tablet.

6. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

I have an iPad 1 that I've held on to for my kids, but the problem it is facing is app support. More and more apps just don't work on it. Like others have said, at least get a 2. The first gen isn't worth it unless its dedicated to Netflix and basic apps only.

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

As others have said, and iPAD2 is not much more, and is much better supported.

8. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

Montymitch is correct. I just retired my first iPad to the kitchen for recipes, music, light content, etc. Many new apps are designed for the later iOS's and many apps that I had can't be updated. Definitely pop for a few more bucks. Keeping the kids entertained and happy is a good thing (however you can do that without giving them what some would consider a 'babysitting' toy). Make sure you get good educational apps to balance the playtime.

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

don't recommend it. The iPad 1 only goes to 5.1.1 which means almost no games and apps work on it. You'd be stuck with only things you had bought on your account already that were set up to let you download a previous version, which might be very few.

an ipad 2 or 3 would be a better cheap choice as they are still supported for iOS updates.