Looking for an iPad 3 case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Maziar, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Maziar, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

Maziar macrumors 6502

Hey guys
    I recently got my new iPad and I ordered a smart cover with it,but after reading that it leaves some marks/scratches the device(is it true?),I decided to cancel the order and instead look for a case.
    Anyway,I need something with a decent build quality/not heavy.I'm willing to pay up to £70.
    I was looking at Speck PixelSkin HD Wrap but I've heard it's cheaply made.
    I've also checked Otterbox Defender case and it was pretty good but it's kinda heavy.
    So,what do you guys recommend ?
    Thanks

2. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Well, there are many types of cases. I suggest you do a little research to see what kind of case you want (folio style, sleeve, etc). Megatamers' Youtube channel has a lot of excellent review that could help aid in your decision.

3. Maziar thread starter macrumors 6502

Preferably folio
    Thanks for the link BTW :)

4. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I got a skin for my iPad and a smart cover, the skin will protect the iPad from scuff marks. I'm liking this very minimalist combo very much currently. I might get the macally smart mate to lock the cover in for when I go out on trips and such as it pops off very easily.

5. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

No problem. There are many types of folios though. Are you looking for leather? Viewing mode feature?

6. Maziar thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Maziar thread starter macrumors 6502

How does STM Skinny 3 compare with the Grip version ? Because that's the only model available in the UK.

8. Maziar thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you post some pics please ? because I've been looking at some back shells such as Belkin shield/Incipio feather but the part that the smart cover attaches is exposed and that causes those scratches,right ?

9. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

If you want sleep / wake function in a cover and you like quality , style and not getting ripped off by price gouging case manufactures that will have you believe there crap is worth it get a Marware CEO hybrid ip3 case. At least look at one on YouTube.

10. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Belkin Cinema Folio or iFrogz Summit. I have both for new iPad and they are both keepers. Protective but light and not bulky. Not expensive either.

11. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Yoobao FTW :D

12. Maziar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies guys. decided to go with STM Skinny.

13. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

It is exposed, that is why I put a skin on the back of my iPad. I bought the skinomi techskin from amazon for the sole purpose of attaching the smart cover with out scratching the back of my iPad. I used the smart cover for 3 weeks without the skin though and there isn't a single scratch on it either. I don't have the macally yet it shipped today. But there are plenty of pics of it out there... You can't see where the smart cover attaches because the back cover locks in the smart cover.

14. turbobass, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

turbobass macrumors 6502

I have seen scratches on heavily used iPad 2 where the smartcover meets the iPad. Metal on metal always means scratching for moving parts -- where I think it comes into play is how much you throw your pad around. Just using it as a desk stand isn't going to do it, but having the pad in a bag with the cover rubbing (say) may. I plan on getting a Macally case / stand after seeing this thread. ( http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=419 -- anyone have a bad experience with them?)

The smart cover is cool, but these babies hold onto their value if they're in good condition and I know that I will someday want to upgrade :)

15. mauriciovsky macrumors newbie

I heard about the STM Skinny but didn't try it yet, I got an otterbox case for mine and the quality is really outstanding, that's why a lot of people recommend it. I got mine from casesforthenewipad.com delivered pretty fast, they have good price on the cases.

16. Maziar thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes,defender is a great case but I needed something light

17. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

i have the cinema folio but also considered the summit, any reason why you decided to also stick with the summit even though you have the folio?