Looking for an iPad "To Do" app that does this...

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by majordude, May 21, 2010.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Maybe there is an app out there (or coming out) that does what I need... but I am unfamiliar with all the programs.

I want a "To Do" type application that will support individual tasks as well as projects. Some things that have deadlines need to be synced to Calendar so I get an alarm on my iPhone and when I am not in the to do application. And I'd like different folders for home or work or maybe locations like grocery store.

Any ideas?

2. jujoje macrumors newbie

Things from Cultured Code should hopefully do most of what you want. It can sync with iCal, allows you to have projects, tags, areas of responsibility e.g. personal, work etc. It's relatively flexible in how you set things up, so you should be able to get it so that it works you.

Before settling on Things I tried Omnifocus, but found that it was overkill for what I was trying to do. And to be superficial things looked better :)

My favourite application by far was The Hit List. You can download a beta on their site. I liked it the best by far, but unfortunately development seems to have ceased.

Anyways all the applications have demos on their sites. Check them out and see what works for you.

3. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

4. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Bye 2Do . . . Hello ToDo

Grew tired of waiting for an iPad version of 2Do (with no projected release date) so I went with ToDo on my iPad and iPhone. So far I'm impressed and think I made a good choice. It also syncs well with iCal tasks!

I agree with what you said about ToDo :D

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Things can do most of it, other than the alarms (which I don't think it can do). I have Things on my MBP and also on my iPhone, but I am so not paying $20 for their iPad version. ToDo did a fantastic job with their iPad app. Why don't you give it a try? For $5 you can't really go wrong.

6. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

7. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Okay! I think I'll grab it! :p

I with Things had a trial version! :mad:

8. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Tell us how you like it.

9. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Crap. I spend $20 for nothing. Things can't add a time to deadlines (just a date). So if I have a task with a deadline at noon I would have no idea about it in Things but I would in Todo.

How stupid.

Todo does more things than... Things! :eek:

10. kallyq macrumors regular

Things on Mac has a trial version. :)

Google Cultured Code

11. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Er, thanks but I'm in the iPad forum! There's isn't a free trial for the iPad! :mad:

12. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Edit: oops, didn't read the whole message before commenting. But yes, I think sometimes people get lured in by the high prices and think that for that much money it must be amazing vs. the other apps. And sometimes I wonder if that isn't part of the pricing strategy for apps like things, people will buy the most expensive because they assume it's the best or it wouldn't cost so much. So far I've not seen any convincing argument that things does anything unique or noteworthy.

13. RRKPL macrumors member

Not sure what's up with Things. I've used it on the iPad, Mac and iPhone and though it's a pretty app the mobile versions are crippled compared to the desktop and even the desktop seems to be missing some important features. Combine that with the fact that they are very sloooow in getting out significant updates and it kind of takes the fun out of using the app.

I've moved on to ToDo and find with spending an additional $14 for a Toodledo Pro account I can get all the iCal integration, alarms, turn tasks into events with start times and cross platform functionality I want. And have it on my iPad, iPhone and desktop for $5 total more than just the crippled iPad version of Things.

14. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

15. RRKPL macrumors member

OmniFocus wouldn't have an iPad version till sometime in June according to their site.

16. Treebark macrumors 6502

Treebark

I am a heavy user of todo/task apps, have been since the original Palm. AppiGo's ToDo is an excellent program and has a great synch (very important so your data is your data!) with toodledo.com. I have been using it on my iPhone after trying MANY others. I also have the iPad version and it is still nice but I assume they will continue to make it more iPad special.

One you should also check out is the upcoming Pocket Informant. PI was a mainstay on windows mobile. I find their iPhone app a little cramped for all of the features they put in (like replacing your calendar!) but that should be solved if they expand it to use the iPad. Their blog says they are doing just that (which is why it is not a universal app but a new iPad app) and their first screenshot looks nice. (http://www.148apps.com/news/sneak-peak-pocket-informant-ipad-webis-screen-shot/)

Tree

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

+1 for Todo by Appigo.

I've used the iPhone version since forever, and the iPad version is very, very nice.

Add to that a Toodledo.com subscription and Appigo's desktop sync for Mac (current beta integrates into iCal), and you've got a universally accessible GTD-type to do manager with iCal, iPhone and iPad cross-compatibility and accessible from any PC or Mac browser (via Toodledo.com).

Even hooks nicely into 'Got To Do,' a to do manager app for my Verizon Motorola Droid.

Now my to do list is manageable from every one of my devices (iPhone, iPad, Droid) or computers (desktop Mac, MacBook, PCs at work, etc). Most awesome.

Edit: And in case anyone is interested, there are calendar apps and widgets for Android that will integrate to do's with due dates in to the calendar. So, I can enter a new task on my iPad with Todo, hit sync, and in a couple moments the new task will appear on my Droid's calendar widget on the home screen.

If you're OCD (give or take) about your task lists, it's like heaven.

18. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

I'm playing around with ToDo an while it syncs with iCal (with Appigo Sync) it doesn't really sync the way I want... but maybe it works anyway. I want things to show up as an event in iCal but it is just a task. Will it alarm?

I do think that ToDo is better than Things. I'm actually pissed that I bought things because it is half finished and sold a a finished product. Nothing like the Mac version. Total BS. :mad:

I'm mad at all the fu****g bloggers and podcasters that sold me on it.

19. RRKPL macrumors member

20. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Whoa. I need to set up a Toodledo account and transfer stuff through there?

21. RRKPL macrumors member

It sounds complicated but it's pretty easy to do and takes about 5 minutes to set up. Once done it 'just works' across platforms and effortlessly. The only downside is if you want to sync subtasks you need a pro account.

Sync with Toodledo:
    http://support.appigo.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=16&nav=0,1

Toodledo to iCal sync :
    http://www.toodledo.com/connect_ical.php

The only other app that I know of that has over the air sync that works that smoothly is OmniFocus but you need the desktop app on a Mac and the iCal setup is a bit arcane but if I remember is 2 way.

22. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Thanks, it worked!

But I can't set alarms I guess. In ToDo I can set an alert that just beeps. When I import in in to iCal through Toodledo it doesn't set an alarm.

I am trying to set up ToDo so that everything I need to do "today" is in the focus tab. So things like a staff meeting at 9:00 would be there so I know I have to do it but also alarm me so I don't miss it!

23. RRKPL macrumors member

I think the best you can get is to have ToDo push notifications on. They beep and leave a message on your lock or home screen that can be configured in settings for at time of event or predefined before event. Alerts might get better with OS 4 notifications. For now I think that's as good as it gets and I've tried most of the options. To do apps all have different feature sets but I haven't yet found one that works the way I do. It would be great if you could take omniFocus sync with mobile me add to it Things look and some features that I like from SmartTime....

24. Treebark macrumors 6502

Treebark

Unless your staff meeting at 9 is in ToDo as a task, you are not going to get it listed in the Focus view. ToDo, and most other task/todo apps are just that, task and todo apps.

Now, when Pocket Informant releases their iPad app.....their Today view (or even on a calendar day) I believe will show you tasks and calendar events at the same time. And Pocket Informant also synchs with toodledo.