Looking for an iTunes solution (not what it sounds like!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dr.Ph0bius, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Dr.Ph0bius macrumors newbie

Heres the situation... Im a long time Mac user, and after owning several desktop and laptop Macs, I have purchased a MacBook Pro which is going to become the workhorse for my business and personal use.

I use iTunes for my iPhone, and sync to the new MacBook, but I have the actual music stored on a desktop used as a file server. It is around six hundred gigs of music, so it isnt practical to store it on the MacBook itself.

Once I am on the network, I just connect to the music share before opening iTunes and I am good to go.

The Question!

Is there any way I can still accomplish that task remotely?
    I know there are some VPN widgets, so could a VPN to the fileserver give me the same access as connecting to the share on the home network?

Obviously I could move the songs I listen to the most to the MacBook, but I was hoping I could find a way that would allow me full access to my music while out working at a wi-fi hot spot without getting the little "cant locate" exclamation point...

Any help would be appreciated!!

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

You should be able to with a VNC connection, off the top of my head I can't think of any reasons why you couldn't make it work. It may take some work to get the settings rights.

Cheers