Looking for an iTunes statistics program.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by StephenCampbell, May 31, 2011.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

The software I've found for this hasn't been very helpful because I have some albums with lots of really long tracks, so it takes four hours to get through the album, and then another album will have really short tracks, so I get through it in one hour. Then when I look at the statistics, it tells me that I've listened to the second album much more than the first one, simply because there are more playcounts.

Is there a statistics program that looks at track length too?

Thanks.

2. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm, that really sucks. None of the programs work for people who listen to a lot of classical music.

The opera Siegfried, for example, is 4.1 hours long, and includes ten tracks that are over ten minutes each.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm curious how you would use that information. I never look at play counts, because it's meaningless to me. I play what I want, when I want. I don't know what benefit there is in tracking play counts at all.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

GGJ: I know for me, sometimes I prefer to hear the songs that I listen to repeatedly, and more often, I'd prefer to listen to the songs that I haven't heard as often. Play counts can be very helpful with that.

I've used iTunes Statistician for that before, but it's not very advanced, and doesn't do anything more than read the information that iTunes stores for play counts and then gives you a few views of that. You might look at it though, it doesn't go off song length, so that wouldn't affect it.

jW

5. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

I actually take a great interest in tracking how much I listen to what. Particularly if I want to get to know a 4 hour opera, I need to make sure to listen to a balance of all the tracks, without favoring my "favorite sections" over others, if I want to gain a balanced knowledge and understanding of the whole thing.

Also, it's just really neat to be able to see how much I've listened to what. It can be annoying sometimes though because if I start a track in the middle (let's say there's a section I want to listen to that starts in the middle of a track), then I have to stop that track just before it ends so that it doesn't give me a play count (because I didn't listen to the whole thing). Things like that can be annoying sometimes.