Looking for an Office 2008 trial!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gazfocus, Feb 22, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Does anyone know where I can download a trial of Office 2008? Thanks

2. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about a Microsoft Office 2008 trial version yet?

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Odd....I've looked all over Microsoft's Mactopia website but can't seem to find any trial for 2008, or on any other website for that matter.

Ah, you're not missing much. Office 2008 is painfully slow to start up, even slower than 2004 and if you create a document in Word most of the time it doesn't look the way it's supposed to if it's opened in any other version of Office.

EDIT: Okay, I seem to have found a trial of 2008 on Softpedia: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Business/Microsoft-Office-2008.shtml

4. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

That come up saying you have to buy it to download :(

5. Macmanus macrumors member

Office 2008 just sucks. The PC version Is wayyy better.

"once you go mac, you never go back" : to Office 2007, I do.

6. tadpoleontheweb macrumors newbie

Office 2008 working fine

I have Office 2008 running on my laptop and everything works like a charm. The installation went without a hitch. Except for a database rebuild to make items show up in search in Entourage, everything works great.

Maybe some people are having problems with their Office 2008 because of the way their system is configured. I can't report any problems personally.

It's too bad there is no trial version for Office 2008. Hopefully Microsoft will reconsider if they haven't already made plans to release it soon.

7. J.Dean macrumors newbie

I agree 100%. As a student, I purchased the office 2008 for mac, but it just can't compare to the window's version, especially excel.

8. anthony8400 macrumors newbie

anthony8400

I have Office: Mac 2008 installed, but I barely use it.
    It's UGLY, it's so obese and it isn't as smoothly as Office 2007.

I prefer Office 2007 over the mac version, but I use iWork.
    I just use it for typing my school work, and creating keynotes, so I don't need Office anymore.

I'm even considering of getting rid of Office: Mac, because it uses so much space (al those updates :s)

9. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I was PC user. I switched to Mac, (love it). anyways when I try to convert old excel files they never format properly. They always look different. No its not a formatting issue. Now I use the the FREE NeoOffice as it converts old files no problem, Open Office is another great FREE package.

10. brentsg macrumors 68040

I'd like to try out Entourage a bit. That's about the only app I feel the need to own, and I wish it was available standalone.

My Excel and Word usage is not too hardcore and I think I can get by with Apple alternatives. But I'm stuck running Outlook on VM.

11. danny_w macrumors 601

You could also run Outlook on Crossover Office with less of a footprint (no Windows). I use Entourage at work but think that running Outlook over CrossOver Office might be much better; I have Crossover, so now I just need an Outlook license.

12. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Forget the trial - I say just put the noose around its neck, hang it, and get it over with...

13. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Post of the Day!

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no trial version of Office 2008. Many complain about Office being slow or difficult to use or buggy. It's by no means perfect (no software is!), but Office 2008 works fine for me. I need the advanced features of Excel that you can't find in Numbers or other apps, as well as the compatibility to share files with Windows users. I've never had a problem with it launching and running quickly and efficiently. (I can launch Word, Excel and Powerpoint simultaneously and all 3 open in less than 3 seconds). I also have opened hundreds of files created on Windows with zero problems, including formatting. I think most people who complain about it simply haven't taken the time to learn how to use it properly.

15. joeljames macrumors newbie

Quote:
    Odd....I've looked all over Microsoft's Mactopia website but can't seem to find any trial for 2008, or on any other website for that matter.

Ah, you're not missing much. Office 2008 is painfully slow to start up, even slower than 2004 and if you create a document in Word most of the time it doesn't look the way it's supposed to if it's opened in any other version of Office.

EDIT: Okay, I seem to have found a trial of 2008 on Softpedia: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Busines...ice-2008.shtml

I am pretty sure softpedia is a site full of viruses and adware. I do pc support and had to completely reformat a guy's computer (a pc of course :p) because he bought two programs from that site that were supposed to "speed it up". When I got to the computer, after dell's support said that there was no hope and needed reformatted, the computer would restart automatically unless you typed in a special run command, no programs could be installed or uninstalled, and no files could be copied or pasted. I had to pull the drive and copy the files with my mac :) (just made the switch about 2 months ago:apple: :D).
    But it doesn't surprise me one bit the trial from softpedia was a spoof that wanted you to pay. don't trust that site!

16. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

i got iwork 09, converting things kinda sucks but all in all its great, try ibm lotus symphony also, its FREE