Looking for an offline encyclopedia and maybe card games!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by ctlsmith, Nov 10, 2014.

1. ctlsmith macrumors newbie

Hey folks! First post here, and I appreciate any help you might be able to give. Sorry for starting off my time here with such a question, but I have a very specific need and figure that you guys will likely have the most educated suggestions!

My girlfriend recently updated from her old iPad 2nd gen to a newer iPad Mini 2. We decided to give the old iPad to my grandparents, who have no internet connection, with a few preinstalled apps. There is an important thing to note here: They have NO internet connection at all, and being as they are both 86 years old and dead set on not connecting, this simply won't change.

My goal is to get my grandmother some great card games. She loves hearts, used to love bridge, still like poker, and solitare is a big favorite as well.

My goal is also to get my grandfather an encyclopedia, like wikipedia, but offline. Again, there is absolutely no internet there and 0 chance of the iPad seeing a net connection again until I visit them next, which could be months away. So this needs to be an offline repository.

The best I've seen is Minipedia, but I can't tell if it is 100% offline or not. I'm not concerned with paying for my app- if it does what I need, I"ll pay for it. But the description vs the reviews are contradictory; some of the reviews I've seen suggest it is not 100% offline (as in: I download the app, download all the entries, and they are on the ipad forever more).

Do you guys have any good suggestions for the encyclopedia and/or card games? I'm all ears if you do! And remember- the card games have to be completely single player, as again: there won't be an internet connection ever again once it reaches my grandparents hands. Or, at the least, it will only get a net connection 2-3 times a year when I come over with my hotspot to do updates and such.

Thank you =D

2. matraco macrumors regular

For wikipedia i use the app named "wikipedia offline". No complaints. Once you download the app you have to download the database on the language desired. Make sure you have some free storage left on the ipad. For instance, the english wiki's size is more than 4gb!.

As for offline card games, i play "airpokerlite" and heads up "poker".

There are also other offline games that might be of interest like US checkers, 4 in a row etc. that can be played by 2 persons on the same ipad.