Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evilworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
Hi have the 3g and would like to find a screen protector that has finger resistance oleophobic coating. Does anybody now where I can find one??

Thx,
EW

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Hi have the 3g and would like to find a screen protector that has finger resistance oleophobic coating. Does anybody now where I can find one??

Thx,
EW

I'm not sure that you'll find a screen protector that actually has an oleophobic coating but both the Power Support Anti-Glare and the Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint are worth looking into.

evilworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
I'm not sure that you'll find a screen protector that actually has an oleophobic coating but both the Power Support Anti-Glare and the Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint are worth looking into.

Thanks, I ordered the Steinheil Anit-Fingerprint screen protector and got it last night. The shipping was very fast!! I put it on but I'm not sure if I like it yet. The matte finish is very dull and makes everything look fuzzy. On the other hand it is fingerprint resistant, so I'm still deciding if I like it. Thanks for your help.

EW

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
oleophobic is all the rage now ... I'm sure within weeks we will see the big screen makers come out with oleophobic coated protectors... and I will be first in line to pick one up.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Thanks, I ordered the Steinheil Anit-Fingerprint screen protector and got it last night. The shipping was very fast!! I put it on but I'm not sure if I like it yet. The matte finish is very dull and makes everything look fuzzy. On the other hand it is fingerprint resistant, so I'm still deciding if I like it. Thanks for your help.

EW

I guess it depends on what you're used to. From what I hear the Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint is actually more clear than the Power Support Anti-Glare so I'm looking forward to trying it on my phone (I currently have the PS Anti-Glare installed on my 3GS and my Steinheil is just sitting on my desk waiting to be installed). Since I'm already used to the Anti-Glare effect of the PS, I'm hoping that the Steinheil will be a slight improvement for me.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I guess it depends on what you're used to. From what I hear the Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint is actually more clear than the Power Support Anti-Glare so I'm looking forward to trying it on my phone (I currently have the PS Anti-Glare installed on my 3GS and my Steinheil is just sitting on my desk waiting to be installed). Since I'm already used to the Anti-Glare effect of the PS, I'm hoping that the Steinheil will be a slight improvement for me.

Clarity is better on Stenheil. I've been using it over Power Support since it was introduced and I absolutely like it. You can try by comparing it first by laying both over on your screen, you'd see a difference.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I finally got around to installing my Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint today and I have to say that I'm very disappointed in the quality. The first shield I tried to install was creased/bent around the cutout for the ear piece so it was impossible to get it on without bubbles. After messing with it for quite a while, I realized it was a lost cause so I moved on to the next one. I managed to get the second one on just about perfectly; however, I find it to be much cloudier and more fuzzy than the PS Anti-Glare I had been using. I had high hopes for the Steinheil because people said that it was more clear than the PS - to me, it's quite the opposite. It looks like I'm going to have to contact SGP since one shield was defective and the other one did not meet my expectations. Does anyone know how SGP deals with situations like this?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Well all I can say is

I love the Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint I have had Power Support and Best Skins Ever I do like BSE second best IMO but I love the Steinheil! nothing beats it. you might try contacting SGP too about your install problem, they are a pretty good company!

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
you might try contacting SGP too about your install problem, they are a pretty good company!

I actually did do that and believe it or not they basically told me to f*%# off. I explained that the shield was already creased before I even tried to apply it but I thought I might be able to fix it once it was installed. They told me that I should have contacted them beforehand and that the failed installation was my fault (I guess they don't care that the screen protector was already damaged). I've installed plenty of screen protectors in the past and never had a problem like this, so I'm very disappointed. I will not be buying from SGP again and I will encourage all of my friends to avoid them as well. They obviously don't know how to treat a customer.

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
Interesting. While I found SGP to be completely non-responsive to emails, I received my order without a hitch and the screens were in perfect shape. I've had the Steinheil AF on for about a week now and while I was undecided at first as to whether or not I liked it, I'm heavily leaning towards sticking with it.

Likes: I love the way my fingers glide across it. About as slick as the bare oleophobic screen, but with a decidedly drier or more papery feel, and definitely less sticky feeling than crystal screen protectors. I also love the anti-fingerprint attributes which I think may actually be better than the oleophobic screen.

Dislikes: Oddly, I don't like the anti-glare effect. It does effectively diffuse reflections, but when it does so, the screen takes on a frosted look that I don't really care for. It does make it easier to read through the reflections, but I think I preferred the old-school solution of just tilting the phone to get rid of reflections. I'm also not thrilled about the effect on screen clarity, but the effect is fairly minimal and I got used to it immediately. In fact, I'd say it's minimal enough of an effect that if I didn't happen to have 3 other iphones in my house to constantly compare my iphone to, it wouldn't bother me at all. But since I do, when I do compare them side by side - yeah, it bugs me.

So there are a couple things I love about this protector, and a couple things that I'm not crazy about but don't bother me to the point of distraction. On balance, therefore, I'm liking it better than the crystal screen protectors I've used in the past (which offer only one benefit - screen protection).

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
krick:

Did you ever use a Power Support Anti-Glare in the past? If so, I'd like to know how you think it compares to the Steinheil. Also, did the clarity of the Steinheil improve at all 24 hours after the installation? On SGP's website they mention waiting 24 hours for adhesive markings to clear up or something to that effect (I don't think I have adhesive markings but the clarity is clearly not nearly as good as my PS Anti-Glare). Oddly enough, I don't see the Anti-Fingerprint listed on SGP's site now either. Wonder if they got a bad batch in. If so, those f*%#ers better send me a replacement.

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
Did you ever use a Power Support Anti-Glare in the past? If so, I'd like to know how you think it compares to the Steinheil. Also, did the clarity of the Steinheil improve at all 24 hours after the installation?

Yes, and I think the Steinheil is clearer, but in all honesty it was a while ago and I haven't been able to compare the two side by side because I don't have a PS on hand and haven't been able to find anyone with one on theirs. I went to the local Apple Store and asked if any of their people had one on that I could see, and the response was "I don't think anyone here would use one of those" (which I think had less to do with negativity towards the PS and more to do with the fact that none of the people there use any screen protector of any kind). My recollection of the PS, however, was that my immediate reaction was that it was unnacceptable and that within 5 minutes I knew I'd never be able to live with it. My immediate reaction to the Steinheil, on the other hand, was that in terms of clarity, it was less than ideal but not terrible, and that I'd at least give it some time.

As for the clarity improving, I'd say that my perception of the clarity did improve, but it had nothing to do with the actual clarity improving or any adhesive issues. I had no visible adhesive (I'm still not convinced that there is any actual adhesive as opposed to just static adhesion) to begin with, and in terms of perception, the difference in clarity was somewhat glaring when I first applied it, but as time passed my perception of the clarity went from so-so to not bad to pretty good. When I compare it side by side with one of the other iphones in my house, however, my perception snaps back to so-so.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
There must be something wrong with my Steinheil then. It's absolutely worse than my PS and I seriously think that my eyes are going to go bad if I look at the screen for too long. It's just looks very frosty and blurry to me and it's not like I'm going from a bare screen to the Steinheil either - I'm very used to the "Anti-Glare" look and had gotten very used to it from my PS. I'm so disgusted with SGP at this point though and I'll probably just go back to PS. If SGP can't acknowledge the fact that they sent out a bad screen protector and that the one I'm using looks horrible, they don't deserve my business.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
I went into the apple store to get some PS anti-glares...

The blue-shirt told me that it would be like the matte-screen on the laptops...is that true?

I have a matte screen MBP, so if it is, I'll be fine with it. But judging from some of the comments on this forum, it sounds like it's worse.

Anyone with first-hand experience willing to make that comparison?

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
There must be something wrong with my Steinheil then. It's absolutely worse than my PS and I seriously think that my eyes are going to go bad if I look at the screen for too long. It's just looks very frosty and blurry to me and it's not like I'm going from a bare screen to the Steinheil either - I'm very used to the "Anti-Glare" look and had gotten very used to it from my PS. I'm so disgusted with SGP at this point though and I'll probably just go back to PS. If SGP can't acknowledge the fact that they sent out a bad screen protector and that the one I'm using looks horrible, they don't deserve my business.

I think you have a poor quality of SGP, mine doesn't have any of the problems you've mentioned. I laid it flat, no bubbles, and before when I bought it I still had the PS Anti-Glare so I had a side by side comparison and the SGP really does stand out with respect to clarity. I'm still using mine since Sept' 08 and highly satisfied with this kind of film. Cheap and better quality against Power Support.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Damn

now I am confused I really like the SGP paper but bad customer service and other things not sure what to do. I really like mine luckily it will be good for a while. before I need to replace it. if only BSE had something like the Steinheil anti finger print that would be truly fantastic.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I think you have a poor quality of SGP, mine doesn't have any of the problems you've mentioned. I laid it flat, no bubbles, and before when I bought it I still had the PS Anti-Glare so I had a side by side comparison and the SGP really does stand out with respect to clarity. I'm still using mine since Sept' 08 and highly satisfied with this kind of film. Cheap and better quality against Power Support.

I agree that mine is probably just poor quality; in fact, I showed my screen to my sister and the first thing she said was "it looks blurry" (she has a PS Anti-Glare on her Touch too so she's also used to the anti-glare look). Anyone else find it interesting that SGP no longer has the Anti-Fingerprint shield for the 3G listed for sale on their website? If they got a bad batch, they need to acknowledge it and replace mine.

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
) Anyone else find it interesting that SGP no longer has the Anti-Fingerprint shield for the 3G listed for sale on their website?

That is really strange. They still list it for other phones and the iPod touch, but not the iPhone. It can't just be that they're out of stock because in the past when they've been out of stock they just put a statement to that effect on the product page.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Maybe someone should email SGP and try to find out what's up. I would do it myself but I don't feel like dealing with them again unless it's absolutely necessary.

lavinci

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
I'm going to stick with the PS anti-glare since they have served me well in the past before.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I finally got around to installing my Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint today and I have to say that I'm very disappointed in the quality. The first shield I tried to install was creased/bent around the cutout for the ear piece so it was impossible to get it on without bubbles. After messing with it for quite a while, I realize it was a lost cause so I moved on to the next one. I managed to get the second one on just about perfectly; however, I find it to be much cloudier and more fuzzy than the PS Anti-Glare I had been using. I had high hopes for the Steinheil because people said that it was more clear than the PS - to me, it's quite the opposite. It looks like I'm going to have to contact SGP since one shield was defective and the other one did not meet my expectations. Does anyone know how SGP deals with situations like this?
you need glasses then, theres no way powersupport is clearer then SGP in anti-Glare

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
you need glasses then, theres no way powersupport is clearer then SGP in anti-Glare

My vision in perfect. Did it ever occur to you that I may have gotten a defective shield? Plus my sister said it was blurry as well and she has a PS Anti-Glare on her Touch. The Steinheil is worse on my 3GS - that's a fact. Whether you choose to believe that or not is up to you.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
well

the fact that SGP no longer has it there leads me to think they might have discontinued it or had problems, ithere for other phones but the only option is the Crystal. I like mine allot I think I got the last good batch since I have heard others complain. I wish I would have ordered another pack when I did. But I hate unresponsive or uncaring company's :mad:

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
My vision in perfect. Did it ever occur to you that I may have gotten a defective shield? Plus my sister said it was blurry as well and she has a PS Anti-Glare on her Touch. The Steinheil is worse on my 3GS - that's a fact. Whether you choose to believe that or not is up to you.

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.