Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Headlands

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Hey all, I recently switched from an Android to an iPhone5, and there are some features that I do miss from the Android...one of the big ones being the keyboard. It is much easier to type on and gives much easier access to numbers and punctuation, with much less button pushing and fiddling than the iOS keyboard.

Please don't defend the iOS keyboard here or attack Android -- it's just my personal opinion and I'm looking for a solution.

I'm looking for an app that has a keyboard like the Android -- layered keys with punctuation and numbers underneath (that you can actually see what's underneath), wider buttons, etc. PLEASE tell me this exists. I can't jailbreak the damn thing because it's version 6.1.4. Grrrrrr.

For me the keyboard is really that much better a smartphone experience on an Android, so if I can have that on the iPhone I'll be happy enough to stick with it. Thanks for the help!

Thanks.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Since this sounds like a jailbreaking issue, which I know nothing about, I'll just say to get an android phone. ;)

Headlands

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Damn. Not what I wanted to hear. Hard to believe there's no custom keyboard like this available without a jailbreak...???

Headlands

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
EDITED, to not dip down into vitriol:

Damn, what a shame. It's frustrating to me (has been for the many years I've been using Apple products) that Apple has this stubbornness that doesn't let people change things to how THEY like to work, not only how some designers at Apple do.

Last edited:

eddyecb

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
So you're gonna get rid of your iphone because of the keyboard?
Good riddance.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Lol. I agree.

OP, I would suggest you go back to Android if you don't like the keyboard.

Apple will be fine without your "business." ;)

Yeah, That's explain a lot when Apple decided to copy loads of stuff from Android on iOS 7.

I guess, you should fire Tim Cook and all those designing people at Apple. Good job.

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
Yeah, That's explain a lot when Apple decided to copy loads of stuff from Android on iOS 7.

I guess, you should fire Tim Cook and all those designing people at Apple. Good job.

Lol....Apple is doing a great job, and I'm excited about the hardware and software coming up the next 6 months.

If I were you, I would worry about firing Samsung's CEO for disappointing S4 sales, since they had to reduce orders on component parts this week.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I use both a Razr HD and iPhone, and I find the Apple virtual keyboard far superior to the Android keyboard.

But, opinions are like *** *****, right? :)

Headlands

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I'm not a shill (but if it makes a couple of you happy to believe so, please be my guest and believe it!).

I have a strong opinion on this specific factor of the iPhone and was looking for an answer. I wasn't rude or childish in the least. A few people behaved like adults -- cheers to those.

The iPhone is far from perfect, and if I could find a keyboard that worked for me I'd live with the other faults and keep it until there's a jailbreak for 6.1.4 or iOS 7 comes out. Still not sure, as there aren't many options out there that have the same small size of the iPhone/look as good/are as fast. It's just that the customizability of it leaves a huge amount to be desired when one comes from the Android world. I might live with it and wait. Not sure.

Now, can we behave like adults and talk rationally and without totally unnecessary emotion? This is a piece of plastic and metal made by a corporation -- it has nothing to do with you as an individual human, so none of this should offend anyone in the least.

----------

Dweez:

Agreed! :)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
I use both a Razr HD and iPhone, and I find the Apple virtual keyboard far superior to the Android keyboard.

But, opinions are like *** *****, right? :)

Does the Razr HD come with the stock Android keyboard? :confused:

The actual Google keyboard is fantastic, and IMO, far better than the iOS keyboard. It's not even close really.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I find that I fat finger a LOT more with the Android keyboard. Not sure if it's the stock Android keyboard or part of the UI that Verizon may put on the device.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Lol....Apple is doing a great job, and I'm excited about the hardware and software coming up the next 6 months.

If I were you, I would worry about firing Samsung's CEO for disappointing S4 sales, since they had to reduce orders on component parts this week.

Dude, you realized that Samsung doesn't just make phones right? Many of components found in your iPhone or iPad were made by Samsung right!

Also you know Samsung doesn't just make Galaxy S4, they makes ranges of phones.

Also I remember not long ago, apple cut their order for iPad and iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.