Looking for Antiglare display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaCDUDE00, Oct 1, 2017.

1. MaCDUDE00 macrumors newbie

Randomly got some vertical lines on my display on an otherwise perfect Late 2011. Don't really wanna try and crack into the clamshell to get the LCD out and replace, and a new clamshell isn't really viable. Does anyone have one with a failed Graphics card? Looking to Frankenstein one together for the near future until my 6 month old graphics card goes bad again.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Those vertical lines could well be the graphics card rather than the screen.

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Agree with earlier poster, the vertical lines sound like the GPU is failing. Every GPU Failure I’ve seen comes with vertical lines. Even my Xbox 360 when it RRoD-ed (twice!!!) was prefaced by a boot to a screen of vertical lines.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

Is the 2011 MBPro a 15" or 17" display?
    If it's either, you could be experiencing "RadeonGate".

If you don't know what that is, look it up. Common failure for 2011 15/17" MBPros.
    No easy fix for it now.

5. MaCDUDE00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Graphics card was replaced a few months ago. It is in fact the screen, works fine on an external monitor and makes no difference on integrated or dedicated graphics.

6. MaCDUDE00 thread starter macrumors newbie

So after doing some research, and with all the ports I love on my current computer, I am looking for a 2015 Retina Macbook pro, preferably the 2.8ghz.

I guess I don't have the proper number of posts but is anyone selling theirs to upgrade to the touchbar model?

Thanks!

7. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

The shortest survival rate for a dGPU from a 2011 replacement I have personally seen is less than 24 hours. Failures within 6 months to a year after replacement are extremely common. Even if you are not seeing distortions on externals yet, it could still be the dGPU - the issues that present when it begins to fail are often as strange and inconsistent as they are frustrating, IMO. If you are near an Apple Store or AASP, you could visit them and request they run the Video Switching Test (so you don't put money into this and then it fails 2 weeks later.)

8. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

9. MaCDUDE00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Fishy, but that one doesn't have any dedicated graphics! Too weak for my work. Thanks anyways

10. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

The integrated graphics on that model MBP runs circles around the dGPU in the 2011. Even the iGPU in my base-model Core m3 retina MacBook matches the dGPU in the 2011 MBP. If your current GPU is meeting your needs, one of the 2015 iGPU models should be able to as well. The 2015 dGPU models may still be occasionally popping up on the refurbished site, as well.