Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jcalhoun22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2017
Luck, Wisconsin
Hello. I just finished a prototype Apple TV remote case and I'm looking for a few folks out there who would be willing to help me out by testing it. I've spent the last year making sure this case is perfect. It has great heft and grip, has directional features so you instantly know which way it's pointing, and a wrist lanyard. Just send me a message with your information and I'll send one out, free of charge, in exchange for your thoughts. Thanks!
20170107_134845.jpg

Jcalhoun22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2017
Luck, Wisconsin
Nice!

How much are selling them for?
I'm still in the testing phase right now so haven't sold any yet. So far just looking for a few folks to use it and see how it works for them. I have a $16 dollar target that looks like it will be pretty close. Thanks for your interest.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Is that a hard case? Does the hole and indentation circles above the Apple logo do anything?

We got a new AppleTV for Christmas. I have a flexible rubber case on my remote now. I was worried with how my current one would feel and stay on but all seems fine (except my 4-year-old daughter now pulls on the edges)

Jcalhoun22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2017
Luck, Wisconsin
Is that a hard case? Does the hole and indentation circles above the Apple logo do anything?

We got a new AppleTV for Christmas. I have a flexible rubber case on my remote now. I was worried with how my current one would feel and stay on but all seems fine (except my 4-year-old daughter now pulls on the edges)

BJMRamage, the case is hard plastic (Acetal). The threaded holes on the bottom are for fixturing and serve no purpose on the final product, but the indentation is for identification, so you can tell which way you're pointing it, along with the ridges along the edges. Thanks for your interest! Jay

Jcalhoun22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2017
Luck, Wisconsin
Thanks everyone on here for helping me out! I've sent out 12 prototype cases to all corners of the country! Now I just have to wait & see what happens... I'm very anxious and excited!

Reactions: BJMRamage

Mjoshea148

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2012
Hello. I just finished a prototype Apple TV remote case and I'm looking for a few folks out there who would be willing to help me out by testing it. I've spent the last year making sure this case is perfect. It has great heft and grip, has directional features so you instantly know which way it's pointing, and a wrist lanyard. Just send me a message with your information and I'll send one out, free of charge, in exchange for your thoughts. Thanks! View attachment 682465

Would love to test out. Got two units. One with kids usage :)

Jcalhoun22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2017
Luck, Wisconsin
Would love to test out. Got two units. One with kids usage :)
Mjoshea148, I ran out of prototypes for this test. I'll keep you in mind if I need to send out any more. I'm hoping the 12 cases that I sent out will give me enough feedback for any improvements or changes that may need to be made. My goal is to do a production run and have these up for sale by the end of the month, but that may change depending on the feedback I get. Thanks so much for being willing to help! Jay.

Kja201313

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2017
Hello. I just finished a prototype Apple TV remote case and I'm looking for a few folks out there who would be willing to help me out by testing it. I've spent the last year making sure this case is perfect. It has great heft and grip, has directional features so you instantly know which way it's pointing, and a wrist lanyard. Just send me a message with your information and I'll send one out, free of charge, in exchange for your thoughts. Thanks! View attachment 682465

I have 2 4th generation Apple TV and use them daily. Will be more than happy to test for you.

Jcalhoun22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2017
Luck, Wisconsin
I have 2 4th generation Apple TV and use them daily. Will be more than happy to test for you.
Kja201313, I ran out of prototypes for this test. I'll keep you in mind if I need to send out any more. I'm hoping the 12 cases that I sent out will give me enough feedback for any improvements or changes that may need to be made. My goal is to do a production run and have these up for sale by the end of the month, but that may change depending on the feedback I get. Thanks so much for being willing to help! Jay.

Mjoshea148

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2012
Mjoshea148, I ran out of prototypes for this test. I'll keep you in mind if I need to send out any more. I'm hoping the 12 cases that I sent out will give me enough feedback for any improvements or changes that may need to be made. My goal is to do a production run and have these up for sale by the end of the month, but that may change depending on the feedback I get. Thanks so much for being willing to help! Jay.

Thanks too for the reply! Good luck!

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Mine arrived yesterday! Thanks for the chance to test. Put it on my bedroom ATV remote as that's the one I use in the dark most often and have had the frustration of never knowing which end is up.

General first impression is positive. Fit is precise and the remote clicked right in to place. I actually accidentally installed the remote upside down, and had to use a butter knife to pry the remote back out of the case. This is a positive as it securely held the remote, but it wasn't excessively difficult to remove...just needed a bit of gentle leverage. Give me a couple of days/nights of use to write more.....

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Skittlescatsmeow

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2016
[doublepost=1484175132][/doublepost]I will help, I have three apple TVs

Jcalhoun22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2017
Luck, Wisconsin
Mine arrived yesterday! Thanks for the chance to test. Put it on my bedroom ATV remote as that's the one I use in the dark most often and have had the frustration of never knowing which end is up.

General first impression is positive. Fit is precise and the remote clicked right in to place. I actually accidentally installed the remote upside down, and had to use a butter knife to pry the remote back out of the case. This is a positive as it securely held the remote, but it wasn't excessively difficult to remove...just needed a bit of gentle leverage. Give me a couple of days/nights of use to write more.....
Hooray! Glad you got it and it's going well so far! Just keep using and let me know how it goes. Thanks again - so much! Jay
[doublepost=1484179108][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1484175132][/doublepost]
I will help, I have three apple TVs
Skittles, I ran out of prototypes for this test. I'll keep you in mind if I need to send out any more. I'm hoping the 12 cases that I sent out will give me enough feedback for any improvements or changes that may need to be made. My goal is to do a production run and have these up for sale by the end of the month, but that may change depending on the feedback I get. Thanks so much for being willing to help! Jay.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
I got mine today. So far, my wife and I like the way that the remote feels in the case much better than the remote naked--almost feels like the Roku remote from a bulk/size standpoint, which is a good thing for us. The remote slides into the case easily and doesn't fall out when dropped on carpet (didn't try on the concrete floor yet), but it does come out comfortably when I decided to try putting in/taking out a few cycles. The only suggestion that I have so far is to oblong the holes a little bit for the lanyard, so that it is a little easier to insert without looking for a toothpick or other tool. I managed to get it done without a tool, but others may have difficulty.

Jcalhoun22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2017
Luck, Wisconsin
I got mine today. So far, my wife and I like the way that the remote feels in the case much better than the remote naked--almost feels like the Roku remote from a bulk/size standpoint, which is a good thing for us. The remote slides into the case easily and doesn't fall out when dropped on carpet (didn't try on the concrete floor yet), but it does come out comfortably when I decided to try putting in/taking out a few cycles. The only suggestion that I have so far is to oblong the holes a little bit for the lanyard, so that it is a little easier to insert without looking for a toothpick or other tool. I managed to get it done without a tool, but others may have difficulty.
Perfect! I'm glad you got it and got a chance to use it! Thank you for the comments on the fit and retention. I agree with you on the lanyard holes. I had the same issue. Difficult, but not impossible! Thanks again & let me know if any other information or issues come up.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
I do have an update on dropping to the floor--it fell from the couch to the concrete floor and came out of the case. There is no damage on the case or remote, from what I can tell. Jcalhoun22, I'm not sure if you intended for the case to hold the remote for a small fall or not, but the remote was better falling in the case and coming out than falling naked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.