Looking for ATI Radeon 3870 Mac and PC Edition

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zorinlynx, Feb 16, 2010.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

The ATI Radeon X1900XT in my Mac Pro just went kapoof. Scrambled video; tried reseating, cleaning the dust out, the works and I just can't get it to work anymore.

I'm working fine on my old 7300GT for now, but obviously performance has greatly suffered. After doing some research it seems the "ATI Radeon 3870 Mac and PC Edition" is the ideal replacement; the price is right and it's compatible with my machine. But I can't find it anywhere! All the sites that sell it are out of stock.

Does anyone know where I can obtain this card? Or know of any alternative, *reliable* graphics solutions for my machine? I don't want to pony up $300+ for the 4xxx series card Apple is selling, and the 8800GT for my 1,1 also seems to be no longer available.

This is frustrating! My machine still has plenty of life in it and I don't want to have to replace it because of this issue.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

look into flashing pc 4870s.

cheaper then apple 3870, better performance then apple 4870.

3. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Are there any solutions that are 100% guaranteed to work? I see lots of older threads that say "this card works!" with a link but I find the card's been discontinued or not available, or there's uncertainty about the revision.

I normally don't mind hacking to get things to work, but not when it involves significant financial risk. :)