Looking for audio channel streaming app.

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by walterjennings, Mar 19, 2009.

1. walterjennings macrumors newbie

Hey there.

Iv been trying to find a way to stream my PC's audio channels over wifi to my iphone. I havnt been able to find an app that can do it yet. Most of the music I listen to nowadays are stored on web based playlists which use flash apps to play.

Id like to be able to turn music on my PC then use wifi (or 3g) and my iphone to plug it into my house speakers, so I dont have to run a cable from my PC to the stereo. (essentially turning the iphone into a wifi audio cable). Iv been listening to music on my crappy laptop speakers for 10 months since my media center died while my house speakers go unused.

Does anyone know if there is an app in existence which can do this?

Please note that I am not looking for a way to listen to my mp3s or iTunes content on my iphone. since the music comes from a web based flash player the audio would have to be captured directly from the PC's audio channels, ie i want to be able to hear window's dings on my iphone.

Thanks!

ps. if any app developer wants to get on this. you'll make 0.99$ from me!

2. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

These links may help you if I read your post right.

Your post is confusing...your first paragraph says you want to stream from PC to iPhone which can be done with ooTunes or Simplify Media
    ooTunes you will have to purchase ooTunes Server seperately.

Then in paragraph 2 you want to transfer the music from your iPhone to your home speakers which you can do with this if you have the right connections or you will have to wait for 3.0 to be released which will open up the A2DP Blue tooth options.

Hope that answers your question...its as clear as I can be based on what it looks like you are asking about.

Good Luck

3. walterjennings thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for not being clear. by iphone -> stereo connection i just meant a regular audio jack. leaving the iphone next the the stereo :p i looked into simplify media and ooTunes but i was under the impression that you could only stream content contained within iTunes to it.

What im looking for is an iphone app that has a sister PC app. the sister PC app would rip the audio channels right from PC's output channels, encoding them realtime and sending a stream. the iphone app would receive the stream, decode and play out of the audio jack to my speakers.

again. in no way shape or form am i looking for a way to stream my iTunes music, unless iTunes has the power to create an audio stream from the PC's audio channels. the sister PC app would need to capture 100% of the output audio channels (windows error dings and all), encode and transmit.

the purpose of this is to be able to listen to music played out of web based flash players on the iphone (if only iphone supported flash). as i said before, basically turn the iphone into a 200$ wifi -> 3.5mm wireless audio stereo cable.

4. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Gotcha...the bad news is that it is not available and never will be.

Everything with the iPhone is iTunes account related. Due to the restrictions of the iPhone the only thing being allowed to even access the iPhone are limited areas of the solid state drive for storage of files...air sharing as an example. So you will not be able to find anything that can input streams to the device. Output is available as you already know and the output will be expanded sometime this summer with the opening up of the A2DP protocols.

Your problem is that you can not use iPhone without iTunes and all the restrictions associated and the very limited input.

Sorry that I don't have better news.

5. walterjennings thread starter macrumors newbie

ah thats too bad. i was hoping there would be some hacky work around like some generic iPhone internet radio app which can connect to mms:// or something. then an open source mms:// server which can rip the output channels.

6. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

fStream works with mms but I still do not think it is what you are looking for.

7. walterjennings thread starter macrumors newbie

finally figured it out. its not pretty and the buffer lag makes changing songs a bit annoying. but it works well.

web based flash music player / windows sounds -> default audio out -> "edcast" -> "icecast2" -> wifi -> "fstream" -> iphone -> 3.5mm stereo cable-> speakers

the required apps are put in "".

8. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

so fstream helped you out. Sorry I couldn't do more but glad you were able to make it work although like you said it looks like a lot of work. Maybe it will be easier after 3.0 is released.

Enjoy the Sounds!

9. elisamuel40 macrumors newbie

10. guruit macrumors newbie