Looking for backpack recommendations for school that can hold a 17" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Voski, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Voski macrumors member

Hey

I currently have a Jansport backpack that I have had for the last 4-6 years. I like the backpack a lot but the zippers have started to break and it doesn't really cut it with carrying my laptop and all my books. I feel like the straps aren't distributing the weight properly and the backpack doesn't ever feel flush on my back when I have it completely loaded up.

I need something that can hold a 17" laptop that has good protection. I like backpacks that have a lot of compartments. Something waterproof would be a plus because I don't want my things to get wet when it is raining.

So far I like a lot of the Dakine backpacks. I saw the Timbuk2 H.A.L. backpack and that one is what I might get if I don't get any recommendations from on here.

2. UCFCrimeAnalyst macrumors newbie

Replying to another post about backpacks, I said "I recently (within the last month) bought a Swiss Gear Synergy Backpack.
    I ordered it after seeing it in Best Buy and then reading a lot of reviews online. It is absolutely amazing! I cannot recommend it more."

I am pretty sure that it will fit a 17" laptop, but with only my iMac and a Dell Mini within close proximity of me, I am unable to say for sure.

Hope you find one!

3. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I have the Synergy also. Wore it for a couple weeks and now its at the back of my closet. Really heavy with nothing in it and it kills my back. Go for a North Face and never look back.

I have the North Face Surge now.

4. charliex5 macrumors regular

I vote for anything by Timbuk2! I've been through a lot of backpacks over the years because I haven't been able to find anything I've been completely happy with. I finally bought a Timbuk2 Q bag and was very happy with it for about a year. It's a little on the small side which was the only downside. It was completely indestructible and extremely comfortable.

I recently bought the Timbuk2 Hemlock which I'm sure will hold your 17" notebook. I needed it for a trip across country and I was able to pack along all my clothes, MacBook Pro, sketchbooks, various reference books, and I bought a good sized present for my wife during the trip. I had no problems whatsoever and it was very comfortable to carry through the various airports especially with the outside laptop compartment access. On a typical day I have about 1-1.25 mile hike straight up hill to class and it has remained comfortable and usefull for 2 months now.