Looking for backup software with specific options

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nehas91, Dec 29, 2014.

1. nehas91 macrumors member

Hello,

I am hoping someone here can help find a simple and easy backup software suited for my needs. I have long stayed away from doing regular backups because I find it to be a pain as I never really figured out how to get different softwares to do what I needed. Please see the requirements below. I prefer not to use TimeMachine. Hopefully it is easy to understand but if there's anything I need to clarify, please let me know

• I'm looking for a software that allows backup/update of specific folders only, not the entire hard drive.

• An option to add new files and update modified files in a folder. (Instead of making 2 copies of the same file, just update the copy that's already backed up if the file has been modified)

• Option to retain files/folders on the External drive from a previous backup even though that file might be now deleted on the HDD.
    For example, if I have File A and B backed up on an external drive, if at a later time, I delete file Y from my HDD - when the software backs up again, I want it to retain file Y in the External drive even though it is deleted on the HDD.

I had read somewhere that CarbonCopyCloner/SuperDuper is able to do the above but I am not very savvy with the program so if anyone can point me to a step-by-step guide or tutorial on how to do the backup as mentioned above, I would be really grateful.
    Thank you in advance.

2. glenthompson, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Not sure why you don't want to use time machine but it will do pretty much what you want with the exception of the second item which goes against all backup strategies. If you accidentally overwrite a file but don't realize it until after the backup has run, your process will have the prior good copy removed from the backup so only the bad copy remains. Most people prefer some amount of versioning so you can roll back to different positions in time.

CCC will also work. Bombitch provides tutorials and instructions for the various scenarios on their website.

If you had just plugged in a cheap external drive and turned on Time Machine, you would have a current good backup. At present you apparently don't have much of a backup due to wanting something perfect. Any backup is better than nothing.

3. BasicGreatGuy, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Carbon Copy Cloner will do what you want. It is very easy to use. And as Glen mentioned, the tutorials on their site are very easy to follow.

I use Time Machine which backs up to my WD MyCloud. And once a day, I use CCC from my external HDD. Both have been working well thus far.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

That would be Carbon Copy Cloner.

/Jim

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Thanks for the correction. That is the second time I have done that recently. Don't know why. I suppose it has to do with some kind of mental association I have made with something else.

6. jojoba macrumors 68000

I've used both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper and can recommend both.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Another vote CCC, I find it easy to use, yet, very flexible and powerful.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

One more vote for CCC.

It costs nothing to try it out:
    It's FREE to download, and FREE to use for the first 30 days.

9. nehas91 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks you for the recommendations everyone! But what I'm getting stuck at is I'm not sure what actual steps I need to take/options I need to select to set up the program to meet my requirements above? Any help or brief explanation regarding setting it up would be greatly helpful.