Looking for backup software

Dark54555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I have an unusual but effective backup routine. 2 external hard drives, rotating weekly to offsite storage, backing up the same computer. GFI Backup worked perfectly for this in a windows environment, but I'm looking for a Mac solution. I need it to do the following:

1. Run two backup sets manually. Scheduling is completely useless.
2. I prefer differential. If I accidentally delete a file, I can pretty much always recover it from the other backup. Incremental with versioning is equally useless for that reason.
3. Needs to be able to backup local and external drives (laptop has both).
4. Freeware is preferred.
5. Simple is preferred.
6. I prefer a backup that's just a naked copy. I encrypt the volume (truecrypt) and usually format in exfat so I could pull to another platform in a worst case scenario.

Suggestions?

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Another +1 for CarbonCopyCloner. Best software I've found. I don't know about the exFAT thing or whatever though.

drsox

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I use CCC to backup my user files to a non HFS+ formatted NAS share. However it isn't bootable, but that's OK for this.
I have another share on the same NAS that is used for TimeMachine and that is bootable.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I think if you're looking for a backup solution, you'll have a difficult time finding a product that supports exFAT.

You can see if ChronoSync works however

Dark54555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Actually, you can use the Crashplan software free for local or computer to computer backups and it is not bad. It also supports "backup sets" so might solve meet of the OP's needs.

Tried the windows version before I went with GFI and was not impressed.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
Mac doesn't like it, but it will work. I can read mac backup files on my pc too.
exFAT works fine with Lion and Mountain Lion (not sure about SL). CCC can work on it, but not for cloning the whole drive, but copying folders, yes.