Looking for backup (sync) software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScottR, Mar 7, 2015.

1. ScottR macrumors member

I have things set up so that my iMac regularly backs up via Time Machine to a large drive.

However, I want to add on a limited, secondary backup, mainly for very critical documents that consist mainly of PDFs and text files (financial records, tax returns, etc.).

For that I bought a portable drive that I can keep in a fireproof safe; my intent is to plug it into my iMac maybe a couple of times a week in order to synchronize those important documents. I think the best way to do this is to
    1) automatically back up new documents,
    2) automatically back up new versions of modified documents, probably while keeping easily-identifiable copies of the old versions,
    3) only manually delete documents that have been deleted from my iMac (so, of course, I don't accidentally delete a backup of a file that's unintentionally missing from the iMac).

I'm aware of all the "big" apps that are renowned for making clones or bootable backups (SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner, etc.), but since I'm not looking for that functionality, at least not chiefly, what's best for doing what I want: to identify specific folders on my iMac's drive and keep them synchronized, as above?

thanks

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Time Machine. Exclude everything that you don't want backed up, and you should be set.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

4. PilotWoo macrumors regular

Chronosync, or Chronosync Express (App Store).

Or you could try FreeFileSync.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote above:
    [[ I'm aware of all the "big" apps that are renowned for making clones or bootable backups (SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner, etc.), but since I'm not looking for that functionality, at least not chiefly, what's best for doing what I want: to identify specific folders on my iMac's drive and keep them synchronized, as above? ]]

CarbonCopyCloner (when set up with available options) can do EXACTLY what you're looking for....

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Yes...with CCC you can specify two specific folders/locations to sync and have it run automatically when you connect the external drive.

Also, this would probably work with the last freeware version of CCC which is still available from their website.

7. dimme macrumors 65816

Anyone using arRsync. I find it very useful for backup for individual folders, and I use super duper for full disk images. One thing I wonder about arRync is it has not been updated since 2012 but still works fine, I guess because it is just a gui for rsync.