Looking for Belkin grip candy review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by richxps, Jan 15, 2012.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Anyone haves review or some pics of this case on the iPhone? I see it on the apple site and it looks good but I want to see some real pics from users. Thanks

2. cbronfman macrumors 6502

I have it and love it

I first bought it in the clear - but ordered it last week in the yellow also, it came Saturday and like it better. So now I have both. As a case, it's the best I've found. It gives protection and grip without much bulk (slightly more than no case, but minimal). In both, the sides are a matte black so you do get a 2-toned fell. In the yellow, in low light conditions, you only get a slight tint around the edge of the screen and on the buttons - not much different than the translucent clear. In brighter light, there is a yellow glow around the edge (screen) of the phone. In either color, you'll see the Apple logo etc. through on the back. My iPhone has an iCarbons Steve Jobs commemorative skin on the back so it doesn't photograph the Belkin case well. I like the case, because there is kind of a ghostly silhouette of the skin showing through. I recommend the case highly. Apple now has it in their stores (I ordered it on-line before they did) so you probably could go in, try it and if you didn't like it - just give it back to them. Incidentally, the case is the same as the Belkin Essentials 50 that you can see in other colors on the Belkin sight. I really like the yellow.

3. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

Thanks , does the clear scratch up in the back , I know most clear ones do. Also would you choose this over a bumper?

4. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

one of my favorite cases right now

get it if you have the chance

great grip/protection all around the device, all buttons have great tactile touch, and hasn't affected front/back/side protectors

i'm rotating this with the birds nest incase snap and magpul field case

Attached Files:

5. cbronfman macrumors 6502

No scratches that I can see

As noted, I have a skin on part of the back so I can't be 100% sure, but I know when I removed the clear translucent case to put on the yellow one - there were no scratches on the side at all. The grip of the front lip is tight, the inside is smooth. I don't believe this case is one that carries any risk of scratches.

6. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Forgot to answer your bumper query - the Belkin case gives much better impact protection than the bumper. If I were choosing only on aesthetics, I'd go with the bumper any day. However based on reality - my phone is more protected against small drops, scratches, etc in this case. PLUS it works with many after-market products (openings wide enough for Bose wired headset, Magellan car kit mount, Kensington nightstand, etc.).

7. sd13 macrumors regular

is the tpu material on the clear area of the case resistant to the yellowing effect?

8. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I've been using the case for a week and it hasn't discolored

Maybe in time, but I found it was always the sides that turn yellow and not the flat back side. This case is has black edges so you would never noticed it when holding the phone.

9. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Translucent not clear

I'm not sure if the fact that the Belkin case is translucent (not clear) makes a difference. I've had the clear one (although it is no longer on the phone, the yellow one is since 01/14) from just after Christmas and there's no sign of yellowing. Nor do I expect there to be.

10. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The Apple store sells them.

12. joec1101 macrumors 6502

I've seen these at Apple store, Target and Best Buy.

13. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Wassup map....I was really liking this case yesteday too ..lol :D
    Next time!!

14. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

better stay away from the apple store ;)

every time i'm there i get something :rolleyes:

looks great on the white iphone imo

15. ethics101 macrumors regular

Just ordered the iSkin view, but this one looks nice as well. Hmm...Can I set the iPhone face down with this case on?

16. FooDog11 macrumors newbie

I'm loving this case, too! Really wish I'd found it several cases ago. Mine was labelled "Belkin Essentials" and I got it for $12 in a bargain bin at Best Buy. It's different colors (turquoise sides and translucent purple back & front lip) but otherwise exactly the same as the Candy Grip cases I saw at Apple earlier in the day.

Looks like Amazon carries these as well.

----------

Yes, the Belkin definitely has lay-on-the-table design.

17. jedolley macrumors 68000

I was in the neighborhood of an Apple Store today so I decided to drop by and one of the reasons was to see this case for myself. First off, it's called Grip Candy on Apple's site, but that name is nowhere on the packaging and is actually called Essentials 050. I confirmed it was the correct case though when the Apple employee scanned it and it's labelled Candy Grip in their system. The case it self is really nice, simple but solid. My only complaints are that I wish the volume buttons were black as well because with them being translucent, you can see that the buttons are off center a bit to accommodate old iPhone 4 and new iPhone 4S.

18. jedolley, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

jedolley macrumors 68000

Okay... Now that I know that the "Real" name for the case is the Essential 050, it was much easier to find. Amazon has the Clear/Black one for $19.50... I have ordered it from there and will return the one I bought today to Apple. I also picked up the Blue/White from Best Buy and will post pics later tonight. I really like the Blue/White as well and will probably keep both as this has quickly become my favorite case. :D

EDIT: As promised I have added the pics for the Blue/White version.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

I really like that color combo

20. tdaks macrumors newbie

Black iPhone

Does anyone have any pictures with the case on a black iPhone? I am trying to decide between the clear and black case.

21. jedolley macrumors 68000

New Belkin Essential 050 color

Here's the 050 in Black/Overcast.

Attached Files:

22. JMies419 macrumors 6502

This case does look really good! I'm interested to see some pics of it on a black iphone as well!

23. cbronfman, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

cbronfman macrumors 6502

Photo of my Black 4S in the yellow Belkin

Here you are - I really like the aura/halo of the yellow around the screen. If you look on the side, you'll see that the two volume buttons also have a yellow cast, the mute switch is uncovered.

Attached Files:

24. TBONE72 macrumors regular

Would anyone be kind enough to post some pics of a black iPhone 4/4s in the clear/blacktop version of this case? Also, for those of you who have had it now for a few weeks/month, how is it holding up?

THANKS!!!

25. jedolley macrumors 68000

Another member posted their pics in the setup thread. http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14254788&postcount=599