Looking for best deals on fully loaded 2017 Macbooks

mrmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
I have a 2016, but if I can find the right deal for a 2017 with 16 GB RAM, fully loaded, I would jump at it. Does anyone know of any deals? I'm working and haven't had time to scour the internet today. Any help appreciated!

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Same here, though also looking at used market. I am afraid the same may happen as did with the 17” MBP. The demand (from enthusiastic minority) carried on but the supply dried up keeping prices higher than expected.

mrmister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Thanks. I’m worried about it being a repeat of the 17” as well.

tegranjeet

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2019
Boulder, CO
Personally have scored a fully speced machine in like new condition with under 80 battery load cycles on eBay for $1000. They usually go for between $1100 and $1300 though.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
I recently purchased a fully loaded one with AC+ on Swappa for $1100.

In theory, if someone purchased one last week they'd be covered under the keyboard replacement program all the way to July 2023. Complaining of a sticky key or something then would get them essentially a new top case keyboard and battery, assuming Apple even still has a stock of replacements then. Not bad.

EDIT: Looks like I am wrong about the battery. The battery and logic board are attached to the lower case; so a replacement of the keyboard and top case assembly would not result in getting a new battery. Oh well.

Last edited:

kitt9000

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Hi was watching this thread as well, since I think I like this form factor for a Mac the best for my needs. Email, browsing, movies, and occasional parallels Remote Desktop (not a second local Os).

Was able to get a 2017 MacBook 12, 512gb, i5, 8gb ram model from Best Buy open box excellent for 975 yesterday, which is now sold out. I’m not sure if I need to spend extra for the 16gb ram...or go to swappa and get a used one. I don’t do any photo or video editing. What do you guys think...I can still return it within 30 d if 16 gb ram is worth the hassle.

Regardless I am selling a 2017 MacBook Pro 13 w 16gb ram and 1tb ssd prob soon on swappa anyways shortly. Used it for the same needs as above, but prefer the smaller form factor.

I recently purchased a fully loaded one with AC+ on Swappa for $1100.

In theory, if someone purchased one last week they'd be covered under the keyboard replacement program all the way to July 2023. Complaining of a sticky key or something then would get them essentially a new top case keyboard and battery, assuming Apple even still has a stock of replacements then. Not bad.

EDIT: Looks like I am wrong about the battery. The battery and logic board are attached to the lower case; so a replacement of the keyboard and top case assembly would not result in getting a new battery. Oh well.

Last edited:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
Hi was watching this thread as well, since I think I like this form factor for a Mac the best for my needs. Email, browsing, movies, and occasional parallels Remote Desktop (not a second local Os).

Was able to get a 2017 MacBook 12, 512gb, i5, 8gb ram model from Best Buy open box excellent for 975 yesterday, which is now sold out. I’m not sure if I need to spend extra for the 16gb ram...or go to swappa and get a used one. I don’t do any photo or video editing. What do you guys think...I can still return it within 30 d if 16 gb ram is worth the hassle.

Regardless I am selling a 2017 MacBook Pro 13 w 16gb ram and 1tb ssd prob soon on swappa anyways shortly. Used it for the same needs as above, but prefer the smaller form factor.
My thinking was: I haven’t needed to upgrade or replace a computer due to the cpu being too slow since 2006 or so. The reason for upgrading or replacing has always been something else - memory, drive capacity or speed, screen quality, battery life, etc. Most of those cannot be altered or selected in a macbook, so its moot. For me, anything 256gb or more storage is plenty as I store most of my files on a NAS/cloud. The only pertinent variable is RAM. So I go for the most RAM possible.

objektør

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2014
At home
Same here, though also looking at used market. I am afraid the same may happen as did with the 17” MBP. The demand (from enthusiastic minority) carried on but the supply dried up keeping prices higher than expected.
Agree.
My rMB 2015 is more than 4 years old now and the battery needs replacement. (65% of original capacity). It served me well. I planned to keep it another year or so and wait for a refresh but that seems unlikely now. I love the form factor. Had a look at the new MBA 2018 but prefer another rMB. The m3 2015 model was good enough so the 2017 m3 will even be an upgrade for me and a bit more future proof. (e.g use sidecar in Catalina). I hope it can serve me a new 4-5 years.
I am now looking now at a hardly used 2017 model (5 cycles) but wondered if the battery degrades a lot in 2 years even when it has not been used. (the machine is from September 2017).
Any ideas?

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
To let you know there is an internal replacement program for the MacBook screen until August 2019 for the 2015 MacBook or 4 years after purchase for the MacBook.

The screen to keyboard distance is too small and leaves marks in the display. Found out about the program this morning at the Apple store as mine is in for it’s 3rd display in 3 years.

The keys and the metal strips top and bottom leave indentations (little scratches across the display) if you haven’t noticed check your display.

Mine has had this 3 times now. It doesn’t bother me too much but mine has been in 3 times for the hinge being loose. They won’t replace for this but will for indentations.

For background mine is absolutely babied it has 330 cycles and is immaculate not a mark on it. Literally used in bed... or occasionally on the road.

Anyway mine had AppleCare and is now a year out. Took it in this morning and getting another display. Cost would have been £379... probably more than the machine is worth at this point.

There is obviously issues with it and not sure if the later models were improved but doubt it.

Reactions: objektør

objektør

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2014
At home
To let you know there is an internal replacement program for the MacBook screen until August 2019 for the 2015 MacBook or 4 years after purchase for the MacBook.

The screen to keyboard distance is too small and leaves marks in the display. Found out about the program this morning at the Apple store as mine is in for it’s 3rd display in 3 years.

The keys and the metal strips top and bottom leave indentations (little scratches across the display) if you haven’t noticed check your display.

Mine has had this 3 times now. It doesn’t bother me too much but mine has been in 3 times for the hinge being loose. They won’t replace for this but will for indentations.

For background mine is absolutely babied it has 330 cycles and is immaculate not a mark on it. Literally used in bed... or occasionally on the road.

Anyway mine had AppleCare and is now a year out. Took it in this morning and getting another display. Cost would have been £379... probably more than the machine is worth at this point.

There is obviously issues with it and not sure if the later models were improved but doubt it.
Thanks, I didn't know that.
Mine has definitely got marks from the keyboard. I do use mine carefully but it is a tool for me (not a baby). I was unlucky (or rather stupid) and cleaned the keyboard with some alcohol stuff which than damaged the screen after I closed it, partly because of this too small distance. My mistake so I don't believe Apple agrees I qualify for their screen program...
I'll look it up. Do you have a link to that site?

crobcary

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I waited around and never could find a good deal on the i7 version (likely because it's CTO), so I simply bought it on Apple Refurb. Don't regret it at all; a similarly spec'd MBA (8th-gen i5, which benches about the same as the 7th-gen i7/16GB/512GB) costs as much as the refurb max MBr.

racoop

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
I waited around and never could find a good deal on the i7 version (likely because it's CTO), so I simply bought it on Apple Refurb. Don't regret it at all; a similarly spec'd MBA (8th-gen i5, which benches about the same as the 7th-gen i7/16GB/512GB) costs as much as the refurb max MBr.
Indeed I have not seen the i7 version anywhere except on the Apple Refurb page. Just today I received my brand new 2017 i5/512/8, in space grey, for $1079 including tax and shipping.

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
Bought a maxed out one on swappa last week for $975, arrived and it was in mint condition, fired it up and it immediately crashed, brought it to apple and the logic board failed... just my luck.

kitt9000

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Bought a maxed out one on swappa last week for $975, arrived and it was in mint condition, fired it up and it immediately crashed, brought it to apple and the logic board failed... just my luck.

Ugh, oh no...sorry to hear that. I also just returned my 512/8gb model to BB and ordered a 1.4/512/16gb model from ebay used but in MINT cond apparently. Hoping for a good unit. Did you have applecare? What did apple say in terms of fixing options.

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
Nah I had literally brought it to Apple the day I opened it from the seller, they wanted $675+ tax to repair, told the seller and he said to send it back to him for a refund. No apple care, so would have been out of pocket. Just glad it was that quickly and not a month or two later when I would have been on the hook for it.

kitt9000

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Nah I had literally brought it to Apple the day I opened it from the seller, they wanted $675+ tax to repair, told the seller and he said to send it back to him for a refund. No apple care, so would have been out of pocket. Just glad it was that quickly and not a month or two later when I would have been on the hook for it.
I agree, at least it happened now than later. Very glad that the seller was ok to take it back. I think if you order again, best to get one w/ apple care still active. I checked ebay again and again, and supposedly the one coming has applecare+ on it for a couple of years so hopefully in case something like this happens it would be covered.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2006
UK
For people in the UK I recommend buying from CEX on line. You have two years warranty, and 14 days to return if not happy. I got my base model 12" from them a few months ago. It was grade B as it didn't have the box, but the machine itself was mint with only a few cycles.

Currently Base model 12" grade A are available for £605, grade B £555.

They currently have three maxed out 12" (1.4/16/512) £1165 for grade A, £1045 for grade B

Don't buy in store
as the return options are poor, but for on-line purchases they are subject to the standard distance selling regs which means 14 days for full refund. If you need to return an on-line item, you can return it to your local store.

I have no affiliation with CEX other than having bought and exchanged a lot of Apple stuff with them.

Last edited:

kitt9000

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Oh nice, how much did you end up paying for it? Did you run the serial number to confirm the AC+?
Unfortunately I didn't think about looking for or asking for the serial number, that's a good point though. I assumed serial numbers, IMEI numbers are typically not displayed in an auction or sale, but I should have thought of that. The seller has a 100% rating, and appears to be a legitimate electronics reseller with 1000s of sales and a return policy if not as advertised. So hopefully if something is not accurate to the auction, I can return it without issues. The seller feedback thankfully is very good also.

I was able to get the MacBook fully loaded for 1099 with apple care till 09/2021 as stated in the sale.

kitt9000

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Wow great deal, mind sharing the seller with me so I can see what they have?
THanks, I felt so too that it was a good deal, fingers crossed it'll be a good MacBook. Sure, the seller name is cellelectronix, https://www.ebay.com/usr/cellelectronix?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 -- hopefully that link works. They have a lot of products, not sure if they have additional MacBook 12's but certainly doesn't help to save the seller and check out all the products to see if there or if will come anytime soon.

Reactions: Higgs1

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2006
UK
For people in the UK I recommend buying from CEX on line. You have two years warranty, and 14 days to return if not happy. I got my base model 12" from them a few months ago. It was grade B as it didn't have the box, but the machine itself was mint with only a few cycles.

Currently Base model 12" grade A are available for £605, grade B £555.

They currently have three maxed out 12" (1.4/16/512) £1165 for grade A, £1045 for grade B

Don't buy in store
as the return options are poor, but for on-line purchases they are subject to the standard distance selling regs which means 14 days for full refund. If you need to return an on-line item, you can return it to your local store.

I have no affiliation with CEX other than having bought and exchanged a lot of Apple stuff with them.
CEX have put UP the prices of all the second hand 12" MacBook i7 models in the last few days.

Seems like more people are appreciating its virtues now it is discontinued.

Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2005
We noticed that too... we've been looking for a standard 12" 2017 model, but looks like all the big retailers in the UK have sold out of what stock was left in that base model. Meanwhile, second hand prices seem to be going up already.