Looking for Beta-Testers for a Color Grading App for iOS.

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by jeromedewhurst, Dec 14, 2013.

1. jeromedewhurst, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

jeromedewhurst macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm looking for people to help beta-test and provide feedback on ColorTime, a color grading app for iOS.

If you're interested in having a go at color grading your video and stills, preferably on iPad, it would be great to hear from you.

To sign-up go to: http://eepurl.com/KR-Iv

You'll be testing version 2.0 (Requires iOS7)
    For further information you can read about version 1.0 on our website: http://www.photographica.co.uk

Thanks for reading,
    Jerome.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

On IOS. Are those screen even color accurate? Can they be calibrated?

3. jeromedewhurst thread starter macrumors newbie

Good question!

Yes and no.
    In my experience the retina iPads measure very close to the sRGB / rec709 primaries out the box with no additional calibration. Luminance is not locked down - but you don't want it to be on a consumer device - because the viewing environment changes.
    There is no 'OS level' color management.

Of course the iPad is no replacement for a broadcast video monitor in a calibrated environment.
    But it's very well equipped for typical consumer video applications - which is ColorTime's target audience. For example people that use iMovie on their iPad.

Having said that, I have tested ColorTime outputting 1080p to a calibrated 2k DCI compliant projector in a grading theatre. Similarly, you can connect the iPad via HDMI to a calibrated professional display. You'll only be getting 8bit precision though.

In my tests I've seen great results ingesting 1080p video from a Nikon D800 to the iPad (using the camera connector kit). Then applying a grade to select shots in ColorTime - then exporting to iMovie to edit. The app supports fairly high data rate encoded H264s.

I hope this answers your question?
    So in a nutshell - the aim of the app is to get more consumers experimenting with color grading technology. It is not targeted for high-end professional use though.

Jerome.