Looking for... blogging software

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by direzze, Nov 13, 2009.

1. direzze macrumors member

Hello, I was hoping maybe someone here would have a suggestion

I am looking for [blogging] software that will allow other people to register and submit posts for approval.

I'd like there to be like/dislike functionality for the readers, comment functionality, and tagging functionality

What I am looking for is similar to www.fmylife.com

I realize this could probably be done by customizing WordPress... but if there is a software already available that would be great as well

Thanks in advance

2. splitpea macrumors 6502a

You could do this fairly easily with Drupal and a couple of modules.

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Might want to test drive a few of the blog software packages listed here:

http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?catid=2&cat=Blogs

Great site for checking out open source software like this.

Drupal is a fully featured CMS (Content Management System) and although I found it personally easy to setup and extremely powerful when the modules are added, as splitpea noted, but I think it's not 1-2-3 done for newbies. You will spend some time learning it's nuances and doing initial setup. The good news is once you do all that, it literally will do everything you want in a secure and stable environment and plenty of cool modules (all free) and themes.

-jim

4. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Sorry, you're right. I shouldn't have implied that getting started with Drupal is easy. But this particular use case is covered without any custom development -- just the Drupal core (covering the user registration, workflow, blog entries, tagging, and comments) and two contrib modules (CCK + Vote up/down).

You'll then need to do a bunch of configuration through the admin interface, which is the part that will be confusing for a new user, since Drupal's terminology is odd and sometimes there isn't much documentation on how to accomplish various goals.

Edited to add:

On second thought, this really wouldn't be too difficult to do with Wordpress either. Simply set the default new user role to Contributor, and they'll be able to write drafts but not publish them. Then you just need to find a plugin that allows the voting, which I imagine is already out there.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

No biggie. I agree with your recent comments entirely.

6. direzze thread starter macrumors member

I'm leaning towards WordPress now just because I am familiar with customizing it. When I tried Drupal on that CMS website, it was a bit odd for me. I guess it is more of a blank slate

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes you can set up so the default users can submit stories for the editor to approve.

However that might expose too much of the back end.

8. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Wordpress. Dotclear.

You want more ? Go for Joomla. Or more complicated : Drupal.

9. direzze thread starter macrumors member

Ah, Joomla was a nightmare for me! I know it's great software, but there's a lot to learn for a newbie like me

Looking into dotclear now

[Update: Went with WordPress, coming along great :)]

10. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Why was Joomla a nightmare ? I used it a lot and the learning curve is not so steep...

11. direzze thread starter macrumors member

Well, not a nightmare. But just looking at the admin panel was so confusing to me... I must have completely overlooked something because I was confused as hell

I ended up going with WordPress and I made a "funny quotations" site.

www.wallbomb.com if you're interested. The theme is P2 for WordPress if anyone is interested in making a similar website (very easy installation and customization)

12. Joseph S macrumors newbie

Hi,

Blogger may be a simple, casual type of software, but it can really enhance your blog pages. Some of the SEO blogging software that is available is actually able to optimize any type of website, blog or static. It helps you to understand different parts of your website in order to find out if it needs to be optimized in some specific way or another.