Looking for buying advice on MB/MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikejtl, Apr 27, 2009.

1. mikejtl macrumors member

I know this is a common question on the boards and I've reviewed many posts so far to try to make an informed decision, but it's time I throw out my own post on this.

I'm about ready to buy a new Mac, it's got to be a laptop and I am trying to decide between the MB and the MBP. Here's what I'll be using it for, any advice is most appreciated.

Most of the work I will do, maybe as much as 90% will be office applications and iLife for which I'm sure a MB would be just fine. But I do dabble with creative apps.

I do a little photoshop and indesign work, but not a significant amount. I've read that the MB can handle CS4 quite well for someone using it more as a hobby like myself.

But I would also like to learn the following apps and worry that the MB just won't cut it for these:

FCP - I've read that the MB can handle FCP from a processing standpoint and the real drawback is that you are limited to USB for your media drives. This actually makes me wonder about the old white MB that still has FW400. Anyone used one of those for FCP recently? Or even looking for a Black MacBook with a 2.4ghz, but that won't give me the hot new GPU.

Motion - I know that the new motion won't install on the MB, but my company owns FCS1 and I've read that it will install and run Motion, can anyone confirm this?

After Effects - Like Motion I know it won't run fast, but I'm hoping it might run smoothly enough on a MB that I can learn how to use it.

Dreamweaver - Ditto After Effects.

Like I said, I want to learn this programs, I won't be using them in a serious way, but I want them to smoothly enough that it's not frustrating to use them. I learned iWeb and Indesign (CS3) on my G4 iBook and while they ran, it was very slow and frustrating, so I don't want to go through that again.

Other considerations:

When Snow Leopard comes out and Grand Central is avail, will the MBP take advantage of that technology it a much more significant way than the MB will?

How realistic do you think updates at WWDC is? Is it worth waiting another 6 weeks to buy?

One last thing, my preference is to go with a MB for the increased portability (and price), I know that getting a MBP means I don't have to worry about the above issues, but it's not my first choice.

Thats it, I know there's a lot there, like I said any advice is appreciated, so any comments on any one for many of the questions I've raised are welcome.

thanks

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I think FCP is going to be your limiting app. DW will run just fine on the MB. Snow Leopard is a leaner, meaner leopard, so it should run even more efficiently than leopard, meaning you can get more mileage from a MB.

You will go nuts trying to be constructive with FCP on a 13" monitor, even the 15" will seem teenie if you've used it on a desktop.

3. mikejtl thread starter macrumors member

I'm not too worried about the screen size, I know that if I got really into FCP or any of these creative apps I would hook up to an ext. display. Speaking of, can the MB power an ext. display and it's own display at the same time so you can have two up for FCP? Or is that only a MBP feature? Anyone know about that?

4. mikejtl thread starter macrumors member

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Motion will install, as it installs on the new mini.

6. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

All Apple notebooks can do that :)

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...this really isn't that different from the many MB vs MBP threads you know.

The Macbook will run the apps you mention capably, the MBP will do it better. I'd just get a Macbook and a nice external monitor. If you can wait, it's probably worth holding off until WWDC.