Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I'm intrigued by some of the camera options in the new Samsung Galaxy S4 and while I'm likely not giving up my iPhone 5 just yet, I'd like to know if a camera app(s) exists that can do animated .gifs (example HERE, called "Motion Shot on the S4) as well as like THIS (called Drama Shot on the S4)

Any help is much appreciated!

EDIT: post updated to include sample shot I took using Drama Shot, shortly after purchasing GS4

Attachments

• 20130707_120132 (1).jpg
    20130707_120132 (1).jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:

darky90

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Oh wow! That is really neat. I would love to have an app or something like this too. Especially the drama shot.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I'm intrigued by some of the camera options in the new Samsung Galaxy S4 and while I'm likely not giving up my iPhone 5 just yet, I'd like to know if a camera app(s) exists that can do animated .gifs (example HERE, called "Motion Shot on the S4) as well as like THIS (called Drama Shot on the S4)

GifBoom is free and does animated gif's from your camera roll.

Multiple exposures can easily be achieved in Magic Shutter for $2.99 US. I think even Hipstamatic has an add on for multiple exposures.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
GifBoom is free and does animated gif's from your camera roll.

Multiple exposures can easily be achieved in Magic Shutter for $2.99 US. I think even Hipstamatic has an add on for multiple exposures.

Thanks, though the animated gif mode like the S4, keeps the same static background and you can apparently choose what to "animate". Wild stuff.

And while Multiple Exposures looks great, it does not duplicate the "Action Shot" or "Drama Shot" (not sure exactly what it's called) that the Samsung does.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Thanks, though the animated gif mode like the S4, keeps the same static background and you can apparently choose what to "animate". Wild stuff.

Yeah, the keeping one half of the picture still by using one frame only is different. I don't know that there would be much use for it in reality, you would have to set the shot up properly to achieve anything good. A lot of people will use it once, not get it to work and never go back to it again.

And while Multiple Exposures looks great, it does not duplicate the "Action Shot" or "Drama Shot" (not sure exactly what it's called) that the Samsung does.

Sorry, that is just a normal multiple exposure blending there, nothing new.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Yeah, pretty gimmicky stuff. But between snapping pics of the kid and the dog, I'm sure I'd find it fun... at least for a week ;)

Thanks again

macca1980

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, the keeping one half of the picture still by using one frame only is different. I don't know that there would be much use for it in reality, you would have to set the shot up properly to achieve anything good. A lot of people will use it once, not get it to work and never go back to it again.

Sorry, that is just a normal multiple exposure blending there, nothing new.

Are there any apps that do the same as the galaxy s4 drama shot?

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Check out SplitLens. Not sure if can do as many as in the sample photo (haven't used it in a while), but it do something similar.

macca1980

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
Check out SplitLens. Not sure if can do as many as in the sample photo (haven't used it in a while), but it do something similar.

Hi I don't think that's the same, I was thinking for action shots to capture someone running or jumping. Split lens looks like there is a lot of setup where as drama shot looks easier

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I'm the OP and thought I'd post one of my own Drama Shots. (yes, I've since purchased a Galaxy S4). And believe it or not, I use this feature more than I imagined I would.

Attachments

• 20130707_120132.jpg
    20130707_120132.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 294

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I, too, am very interested in this effect. Split Lens looks pretty cool, but not quite the same thing. Surely this is an effect that could be replicated with an iphone app?

Since OS-6

macrumors newbie
Oh, yeah. Thought you may have moved on. Plus I didn't have my phone with me and couldn't remember its name.
Called Cinemagram.

There is a whole community type thing where people can post their efforts. Most of the stuff is crap and could be created with any video capable app. Or are just loops.

But I just did a quick search... check out user called Shams2013 ( NOT myself ! ). They have really run with what the app can do. In particular there is one of two people on swings, or another which has a guy on fire.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Oh, yeah. Thought you may have moved on. Plus I didn't have my phone with me and couldn't remember its name.
Called Cinemagram.

There is a whole community type thing where people can post their efforts. Most of the stuff is crap and could be created with any video capable app. Or are just loops.

But I just did a quick search... check out user called Shams2013 ( NOT myself ! ). They have really run with what the app can do. In particular there is one of two people on swings, or another which has a guy on fire.

Thank you. I'll check it out. I still own my iPhone 5 and use it daily when at home on Wifi (on the latest release of iOS 7). Thanks again.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
Did a google search for this and ended up here. I haven't been able to find a app for this that is as good as the Galaxy is. Bummer. Really want this feature.

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
I agree with the OP, I think that some of the camera features the GS4 has are pretty cool. I wish Apple could incorporate these features into the camera app.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
update: was planning on using this on the ipod touch 5 but this app requires GPS so only available for iphone

Remember: you can always jailbreak and use JB tools with external Bluetooth GPS units. I've purchased BTStack GPS - it's working just great on iOS 6.1.x on all Wi-Fi only iPads / GPS-less iPod touches I've installed it on.

Also, if you don't want to use external Bluetooth GPS units, "only" to enable apps that do check there's built-in GPS in the unit, you can manually edit the device capabilities plist. I've done so to make all kinds of apps run on my even old, 2nd-gen iPod touches - for example, ones requiring a camera.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

Check out Echograph

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/echograph-create-cinemagraph/id491346516?mt=8

And Actionshot

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/actionshot/id449226689?mt=8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.