Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hello,

Basically I am looking to replace my canon with another camera. I want this camera to shoot in HD Video, and possibly have geotagging, all for under $350. I was looking at the Canon PowerShot SD780 IS, which I think is a great camera for what I need, but I'm just wondering if there are better options out there.

Thanks

BTW heres the link to the Canon http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=18183

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
How about the Sony Cybershot T90? 12.1 megapixel photos and HD video combatibilty. I've heard many good things about the quality in photos and videos that are produced from this camera. $349 CAD.

but i dont think it has geo-tagging features. :(

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Any camera that uses SD cards can use something like this from Eye-Fi. They are expensive, but if you find a camera you really like and it doesn't have GPS it may be cheaper than a more expensive model of the same camera that does have GPS for geo-tagging.

Canon and Panasonic make cameras that can shoot video in HD. Not sure if any of them have a GPS for geo-tagging, though.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Any camera that uses SD cards can use something like this from Eye-Fi. They are expensive, but if you find a camera you really like and it doesn't have GPS it may be cheaper than a more expensive model of the same camera that does have GPS for geo-tagging.

It looks like those cards don't actually do GPS tagging. They just make an estimate if you are in range of wifi. So not terribly useful in that regard.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the help everyone.

As for the Sony T90, that looks like a great camera, thanks for the recommendation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.