Looking for cheap AC Adapter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wclark03, Jun 7, 2011.

1. wclark03 macrumors newbie

I was wondering has any tips where to get a new AC Adapter for Macbook 13" computer.
    Looking for something under $100.00

So far I found this eReplacements ac90w 90w Universal Adapter

Anybody know if its worth putchasing?

2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Why not buy one from Apple? It's $79.99

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC461LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDEwMQ&mco=MTMzODAwMDI

Admittedly, their chargers are pricey and they suck. The light has gone out on my friend's but still charges, and I recently had to replace mine as it stopped working completely. But, I don't know where else to get them.

I have never seen or heard of the product you posted, I wouldn't trust it unless someone else on here has purchased one.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

How could this even work with a magsafe laptop? Apple patented the magsafe connection and I doubt they've licensed it to anyone.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree. Sounds fishy. "Includes 12 tips" eh? Notice how there's no picture of those 12 tips. I bet there is no magsafe tip. Use the Apple adapter.

5. ZeroCoolZ macrumors newbie

do you think that they care about patent in China lol?

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

IMO only the original Magsafe should be used ... not worth trying to save 25 bucks

7. jljue macrumors regular

I have an "eBay special" non-Apple mag-safe 85W PWS for my MBP to use as an extra adapter around the house, and I all of the started seeing weird fluctuations in charge time and battery health. It got to the point that it would just randomly cut off without warning. As soon as I did some full cycles with my Apple mag-safe PWS, everything went back to normal in terms of battery life and actually getting warnings that my battery is low. You can still find good deals on used or refurbished Apple-branded PWS on eBay for a decent price, such as this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260705756860&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

8. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I'm actually looking for one as well and it seems the only option is the Apple one. Really annoying though that it's so expensive and the build quality is crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

No they don't, but if the fake adapter wrecks your Mac, Apple won't repair it.

10. wclark03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. I think I will save my money for the original I guess. :p
    I was just hoping for something that wont put a dent in my wallet for something so small...

11. MacVibe macrumors regular

Check buy.com. I got my spare there and it works fine, and is much less expensive than Apple's.

12. mugtastic macrumors regular

mugtastic

i bought one of these a while back - works perfect - well known apple retailer.
    i paid $10 bucks more, last fall.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MA538LLAUC/

*note - it doesn't come with the extension cord (cord with regular wall plug), but that is rarely the part that fails so i just use my old one.

13. interrobang macrumors 6502

I'm sure they don't. Nor do they care about UL/ETL/CE or any other safety testing, or, I'm sure, honoring their warranty if it breaks.

14. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Do you have AppleCare? Apple might replace it for free...