Looking for cheap OSX camera for my 1st grader..

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sparky9292, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Hey I'm looking for a cheapo digital camera that I won't cry if he stomps it or drops it.

It's hard to use eBay because they don't say that they are iPhoto compatible.

Any recommendations?

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

As long as you can connect the camera to the computer through USB or with a card reader, iPhoto will recognize it.

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Yeah, as techfreak said. Few cameras say that they're iPhoto compatible, but I haven't seen a single camera that isn't compatible with iPhoto yet. It should work with every camera you come across.

Also, why look at eBay? There are plenty of cameras under $50 that you can get on Amazon new. I don't like buying used cameras, because of potential scratches on the lens. Although, if a first grader is playing with it, I'm sure the quality doesn't matter too much

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You haven't said how cheap however... Many local shops (like mine) have cameras that are well under $100. And may offer damage protection plans to help out if they do somehow break it.

5. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

if it has USB it will almost certainly connect to iPhoto (as others have said) I gave a cheap $75-80 Samsung to my five year old son (when he was 4) explained about being careful with it - and away he went.

Is it stomp proof - I doubt it

There are kids digital cameras (tough bodied) but I have no experience of them and we wanted him to use real stuff to take care of - which luckily for us he always has.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My brother purchased a digital camera at Walmart that required a Windows driver. It did not use removable cards. It simply did not work with the Mac. I have used a VistaQuest VQ1005 keychain camera. This camera cost $5.00--you know, the bill with Abraham Lincoln's picture on the front. This keychain camera works perfectly with iPhoto and supports USB Automount even with the battery removed. It used standard SD cards.

VistaQuest no longer offers $5.00 cameras, but it does offer cameras at much less than the $75.00 mentioned above. You may research its product line here. Please download and read the product manuals before making a decision. Nextag® offers a wide variety of keychain cameras at various price points. You might want to check-out them as well.

7. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I think I said almost certainly - they are out the - but the vast majority of better known brands are fine - Kodak - Samsung - etc