Looking for cheapest running car model on eBay.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I'm looking for a car make and model that goes for the cheapest price on eBay.

Only requirement, it has to run.

I'm 16 right now and I get my senior drivers license when I turn 17. I want to know now what would be the cheapest car possible that I could get in running condition even if its known as being a piece of junk or looks absolutely hideous.

2. Clarence macrumors regular

why ebay?

check your local classifieds for an old ford taurus, the best selling AMERICAN car throughout most of the 90's and early 2000's. Should be able to steal one, and theres plenty around.

3. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

eBay has more consistency when it comes to the availability of a certain car that a newspaper doesn't. Especially since I'm not ready to buy till late August, I'm just looking for a make, model, year and price range so when late August comes I can hop on ebay and find one.

4. Clarence macrumors regular

high supply, fairly reliable, and not so horrendous in the styling department makes the taurus a bang for the buck winner, imho. You did specify cheap, and I assume you also want reliability and decent styling...good luck!

5. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Just to let you know, cars on eBay Motors are generally more expensive than those found in local classifieds.

http://motors.listings.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks_W0QQfasiZ1QQfromZR4QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQsacatZ6001QQsascsZ2QQsbrbinZtQQsbrsrtZlQQsocmdZListingItemList

Bookmark the forgoing link. It has all the cars on ebay for sale in order of cheapest to the most expensive. Look on the left side, type in your zip code, and you can set a distance to find cars in your area.

Don't use Autotrader.com or Cars.com for used old cars. They always seem to be VERY overpriced, lack information, and I think some of the listings are old and have forgotten to be deleted.

If I were you, I would get a Land Rover, but thats just me. A nice Range Rover Classic (1995 and before) or Discovery 1 would be sick (1994-1998). The Disco II's (1999-2004) and the P38 Range Rovers (1995.5- 2002) are much more electronic, and you know how the British are with there electrics. The DiscoII's have Traction Control, Hill Decent Control, optional air suspension, and Active Cornering Enhancement all of which love to break. The p38 Range Rover's have air suspension that is bound to break- some of the Range Rover classics have the air suspension too. Just look for one that has had the Air Suspension converted to coil springs I ride a 1998 Discovery 1 LSE. I love it to death and wouldn't drive anything else (well, not exactly but you know what I mean). They're pretty safe due to the fact they are built like tanks, slow, pretty plush inside, and capable (esp. the Range Rover Classics). Once you drive a bunch of cars, and then hop in a Rover, you'll see why they are so fun to drive. (ok I'll stop now)

If you want something reliable then look for a honda or toyota- I prefer hondas because they have more character than toyotas, not that honda's aren't bland enough though. If you want something pretty reliable and really cheap to fix, then get something american. A mechanic told me ex grandma cars aren't always the best. They may be cheap and have low milage, but for some reason many he's seen just fall apart after they actually get significant mileage put on them.

Can I ask what your budget is?

6. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Volvo 240. Mass produced tanks without treads. And really cheap.

7. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Thanks a lot. That link helped a lot. My budget is between 500 - 1000. I'm not sure if my parents would buy me a car because my dad promised to do so if my grades were good and they are, but I wont hold him to it because he recently built a house for us. That's why I'm planning on buying my own car.

8. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

No problem. As a fellow 16 year old I know what car searching is like.

I would highly recommend Craigslist. Go to the site, click on New York under the cities section (you can narrow it down to Queens I think if you want), click on cars + trucks, and there you can put in price constraints.

Good luck!

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Make sure you can afford insurance before you buy a car. It can be pretty expensive even if it's a $500 car, especially if you are a teenager and living in the city.

10. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

I was thinking about putting the car in my parents name and putting myself on as the secondary driver.

Speaking of insurance, about a year ago, for some reason my dad's insurance company put down on his statement that I was born 1983. *shrug*

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Your best bet for a cheap car might be to ask around from people you know. My buddy did that and he got an 89 crown vic for $400 - including a full tank of gas!

12. Clarence macrumors regular

Wow, Erik, I understand you like your Land Rovers, but do you really think that recommending one as a cheap, reliable first car is a good idea??? Every Land Rover I have had on my Used Car lot has been a nightmare in the service department. When they break, they break big time. I would suggest putting your PERSONAL preference aside (do you think I like ford taurus's??) and think about what you recommending the guy to do!

13. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I know I know *puts head down and slowly walks away* :(

I wouldn't get a crown vic. Who wants a rear wheel drive land yacht.

14. Clarence macrumors regular

:) I wouldnt buy one either... but they are bullet proof. :)

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think he wants something that runs.

I'd look for a Honda or Toyota. Those things are about as reliable as you'd get.

16. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I agree with yg17 in getting a Honda or Toyota. You can find plenty of older Camry's or Accord's for around $1000. As the driver of a 2000 Camry LE, I can tell you that the only thing you have to do to these cars is buy gas, change the oil, and thats it! I recommend the Accord years '90-'93 and the Camry years '92-'96. If you find one with high mileage don't worry about it, because they have most likely been maintained very well. If you can't find a Camry or Accord, step down to the Corolla or Civic. My best friend has an '02 Civic EX that has almost 100k and has been very reliable. Another friend of mine has Corolla, and her's is reliable as well. Good luck!

17. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

You love a damn Land Rover don't you? Haha... ;)

18. Clarence macrumors regular

good luck finding a running toyota or honda with a body for $500. you guys are missing the point here.....

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, you won't find one for 500 bucks because those cars hold their value much, much better than the POS American cars

20. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Probably not far from the truth. Get one of the ex-police ones. Maybe you'll find a bullet proof one :p :p :p

Seriously though, since you live in NY you do get snow. Nothing is worse in the snow then I giant rear wheel drive vehicle with no weight in the back.

For $500, your pickins are gonna be pretty slim. Around here a complete piece of crap costs at least $1000 (and I live in CT, so not far away from ny at all). Additionally, NY cars always seem to be beat up...

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

As a personal thing, I'd get a Toyota. Relieable, and one's from the late eighties and early ninties go for cheap.

However, If you want dirt cheap, go for a Ford Taurus. Easily the cheapest and most availible cars out there.

22. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

Im sorry but I find your name and this thread to be in conflict Hummer :p

Sorry but I had to say it:cool: