Looking for clear TPU case w/ NO smart cover cut-out for iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by eTip, Apr 15, 2012.

1. eTip macrumors 6502

Has anyone seen a clear TPU case for the iPad 3 that does NOT have the cut-out for the smart cover? Not looking for anything fancy - eBay generic cases are fine (that's what I have on my original iPad to this day).

TIA for any tips or suggestions.

2. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

[​IMG]

Nothing in TPU has emerged, if by "TPU" you mean a somewhat soft, pliable, thick cover. There were none made for the iPad 2, and after only a month in service there's nothing for the new one on the horizon either.

The closest thing to that would be the Switcheasy NUDE found here:

http://www.switcheasy.com/product/NUDE_iPad2

I have this, and it's a very nice case. Complete coverage, no cutout, crystal clear, however it's a hard plastic case and not the softer TPU material. In this spirit of how thin and tapered The New iPad is, I've decided to lose the TPU case that I had with the iPad 1 and instead go with a super-thin black back shell coated in rubber paint. I'm not into showing off the Apple logo anymore, don't need a case that shows it if its going to make the product feel larger and bulkier than it actually is.

BJ

3. eTip, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

eTip thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but I prefer the softer TPU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoplastic_polyurethane) cases. I have heard good things about the Switcheasy Nude though.

While I have never owned an iPad 2 (skipped that gen.), I am certain there were TPU cases for them and in fact I have seen them for the new iPad - just not without the cutout for the smart cover. I actually already have a skin protecting the back, I just miss the feel of the TPU case - particular with the somewhat "sharper" edges on the new iPad. I may be picky, but I am patient.....well, in this case anyhow ;-)

----------

Thanks. Yes, that's closer to what I am looking for. If I don't find something cheaper, I may get that one. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem paying for quality but I had both the Belkin Grip Vue that sold for $30 (got it on clearance @ Targertfor much less) and a generic one from eBay that was less than $10 and there was no difference in quality between them. But time is money too....so the Incipio is a good possibility.

EDIT: The Incipio is $22 on Amazon. May pull the trigger on this one before my Amazon Prime trial ends.

4. Night Spring, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

http://www.radtech.us/Products/aero-ipad-case.aspx

We used this case for the iPad 2, and are now using it on the iPad 3. It was actually a bit loose on the 2, but fits the 3 perfectly. :D

I know exactly what you mean about the sharpness of the edges -- but with this case, the feel is perfect in my hands.

We tried this case, too. It's very good, but the feel is a bit more "rougher" than the radtech case. It's by no means a deal-breaker, but we just prefer the radtech. In terms of construction quality, both are excellent cases.

To clarify, the radtech is closer in feel to belkin grip vue. Incipio's case is a bit more rugged in feel.

5. eTip thread starter macrumors 6502

So just to be clear - Radtech hasn't changed this case at all from their iPad 2 case? If so, I may pick one of these up.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That, I don't know, because we haven't bought their case since the new iPad came out -- we're still using the one we bought for the iPad 2. But from their webpage, it seems they are selling a single case for both iPad 2 and 3, so I think it's likely it's just the same case.

7. eTip thread starter macrumors 6502

I just ordered this case (new) off eBay for $17. Thanks again!

8. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

There is a site named cellphoneshop.com
    Lots of Chinese garb...I mean stuff. Good prices for stuff like cases. I bought an adapter that came apart after a month but if you want rubber silicone and plastic it's pretty good on the wallet.