Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhjapple89

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Waco, TX
I got about 500 GB of media files that I've collected over the years, and it will keep getting bigger. I've gone through about 2 or 3 hard drives because my media library keeps getting larger and larger. Currently I have a 1TB Western Digital My Passport HD, and I am looking to move all my media files to cloud storage.

My question to ya'll is what is the best cloud storage out there for the best price.

I would want to be able to mount the drive to my computer via ftp or server, so I can stream the files via quicktime or iTunes. Basically I don't want the files to be on my local HD.

I would also want the ability to stream them to my TV via ATV or a PS3.

If anyone could help me, that would be great.

Thank you.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Keep in mind...

1. the sheer amount of time to upload hundreds of megs.
2. what happens when the cloud provider is offline for maintenance, or goes out of business?
3. what happens if the cloud provider scans their system for copyrighted material, and deletes it when the "owner" (studio) deems it to be out of print or something?

I'd say do some organization, duplicate important and infrequently accessed stuff. Take one of the copies and store it at a friend or family member's house.

I've got my server online at home now, with 4TB (6 drives in RAID6). Next step is to organize all the duplicates and such, and then build a backup solution that uploads changes to a hard drive at a buddy's place. That way if I lose my house to a fire or something, my offsite data is available to me quickly, and it's stored in a completely trustworthy location.

macrazee

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
It's simply not feasible. There are plenty of services which would allow you to backup (read: STORE) all that data, but not use them as a private FTP to continuously stream and move the data back to you. Bandwidth still costs $ and the market just isn't there for what you speak of...YET. Perhaps the next-gen AppleTV really will go to the cloud but that remains up in the air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.