Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zabrak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2017
Hey there!

I have an idea for an app that could be wildly successful, however I can't code a single line on my own...

Would be excited to hand out co-ownership, etc. to anyone willing to help build the app:

A community involvement app that will safely connect like-minded users together, based on mutual interests.

Main features:

Hangout: Connecting based on categories of interest, such as wanting to play local sports, to finding a church buddy, to college kids needing a study-buddy, to musicians needing to connect, etc. Besides the base mutual interest, there'll be elaborated user profiles to help further identify who you'd connect with. Users can create temporary cliques for other users to join up in group activities.

Groups: Creating groups will allow like minded users to engage in large scale hangouts and discussions. Joining groups can be done openly or invite-only.

User-driven economy: Bolstered by a secure & elaborate Terms Of Service Agreement, Users can make real money by getting creative - from setting up their own business, to renting or selling their personal belongings, to renting out rooms, to posting job requests, etc. All of which will be able to be advertised. Users will also be able to post catch-all urgent help requests here, too.

Tipping: A real life currency tipping system will be available for users sending money to each other - perhaps for a paid service, to donating to a charity, to tipping artists, people offering help, and anyone in between.

Events: Displays all categorized local events for users to connect with. These will be created & broadcasted by groups, local services, and individual users. Adding events to your calendar & sharing events with fellow users will be amongst the main draws of the feature.

Interested? Feel free to further get connected at rilysticka@gmail.com for a deeper established connection beyond MacRumors

Thank you!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I have an idea for an app that could be wildly successful, however I can't code a single line on my own...
First, I hope you are wildly successful. Second, we ( developers ) are pitched this exact line more often than my royal nigerian bloodline has found an email in my inbox.

Developers also have wildly successful ideas and we are working on them right now. I am currently working on 3 iOS apps and 2 web applications at the moment. My point is, we are busy.

Be careful with whom you deal, as some may just take your idea and leave you with... well... just watch "The Social Network" for how it can happen.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: atmenterprises

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but I just have to yawn right now.

Your idea duplicates a number of already-successful and ubiquitous apps, albeit all-in-one.

- Facebook
- Craigslist
- Meetup
- Nextdoor

Biggest problem with any kind of social app is critical mass. Early entries grew organically, after initially focusing on limited geography. Today, it would take millions in advertising, and that doesn't guarantee success. eBay spend a bundle saturation-advertising in San Diego (and I guess a few other markets) for Close5. Anybody here ever hear about Close5? (San Diegans who watch local TV are disqualified.) (Close5 is/was a Craigslist wanna-be.)

Other than that - the massive development effort needed to develop the FaceCraigMeetNextdoor along with it's backend services.

Most app developers are employed at a handsome wage making apps that the public will never see. (e.g. Enterprise apps). A smaller number are employed at a handsome wage making Facebook, Craigslist, Meetup, Nextdoor, etc. There is intense competition for a shortage of developers.

Don't expect a competent developer to volunteer their time to write FaceCraigMeetNextdoor, as they will have seen how sausage is made, and would realize that something this comprehensive would take a large team and a lot of money to develop.

Find a more focused idea that can be implemented more easily. Make sure first that you are a subject expert. e.g. an app focused on a particular aspect of keeping tropical fish. Assuming that you are a subject expert on a particular aspect of keeping tropical fish, are plugged-in to the world of tropical-fish keepers, and have recognized an unfilled need.

Since you are not a developer, prepare to reach into your pocket for $100-200K.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.