Looking for computer desk ideas?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kalex, Mar 4, 2013.

1. kalex macrumors 65816

Hello

I just upgraded my mac pro and now its time to replace my trusty old desk.

I had this desk for almost 10 years and it has survived 3 moves, multiple configuration changes. I moved from one bedroom apartment to a town house and now have my own office. I included pictures of my current setup.

looking to get straight desk where i can fit my 3 24" monitors on a swivel arms. I would also like to have extra space on the desk in case i want to setup another desktop or laptop space. height should be under 29.5 inches.
    oh and it should have good depth to it so that i'm not sitting 2 inches from the screens :)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Trying to keep the cost of the desk under $1k

Thanks

Alex

Attached Files:

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Hey Nanofrog is back! YAY!

OT: yeah, just arms, some black curtains, and some interesting wall-art! :)

4. kalex thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats an option but this desk now for some reason is a bit high and uncomfortable for me to sit at. not sure why as it was fine before but after i moved its not the same. Also I kind of don't want corner setup anymore

----------

working on curtains and wall art :) its a process

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Everytime I redecorate I search images for ideas like so.

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I also can't help..but you need to go white or off white it'll match your floors better. You should also add a contrasting wall behind where the displays sit.

I know you want strait but strait will need to be hugely long to not be dominated by three 24's. My desk is I 68" i believe and when I had two 24's on it all you noticed were the screens. It was kind of like a too big TV in the living room it dominates the eye and that's not what your looking for. I now have a 30" and 20" in portrait and they are much less in your face (i'll be adding a second 20" as soon as I find one)

If it were GermanyChris I'd stick to a corner desk just change the color and ad some more minimalism. I've attached mine..the only change is the small monitor went to the left side that desk is 68" wide..your display's are quite a bit wider than mine.

Attached Files:

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Look who's talking. :eek: :p

I hadn't left the site, just hadn't seen anything I wanted to post in after logging in (been spending time on putting together an electronics bench again; Yay!). :D

Carpet vs. tile perhaps? :dunno: New chair may be in order, or a rug or mat under your chair might help too (regardless of desk being used).

As per recommending a desk (even remotely), what are the other dimensions you need (width & depth)?
    Do you use the desk for a business (spend a lot of time there), or is it just for personal use (hobby)?

I ask, as good quality office furniture is expensive, and although $1k might seem more than sufficient, it can surprise you in a hurry (i.e. ~$3k is more common than you might think, especially with options such as drawers, hutch/shelving, and monitor stands :eek:).

Essentially trying to find out if you need to be looking at Ikea or Office Depot vs. true professional grade office furniture (built like a tank; Hon or similar company for example) or not.

8. kalex thread starter macrumors 65816

u bring up very good point. Totally forgot about it. don't want to get carpet but getting a mat will raise my chair up a bit and should be enough where its more comfortable. chair is actually awesome and fully adjustable. Friend of mine has same chair and his desk is about half an inch lower than mine and it makes big difference.

I spend alot of time at my desk in my home office. I work from home 2 days a week and also work after i get back from work so i spend a lot of time at my desk.

as far as width goes I would say 68"-78" should be good. Depth should be more than 30"-36"

Also what i noticed about my corner setup is that its hard to do multiple things at once. Like taking notes and using computer at he same time is a bit annoying as notepad gets in the way of keyboard and mouse :)

So i think using straight or maybe L shaped desk instead of corner will be better.

9. dmax35 macrumors 6502

Go to a used office furniture warehouse, I bought a u-shaped workstation in great condition for my daughter for around a $1,000.00.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Sounds more like you need more of a conference table than a traditional desk, as these tend to come in sizes such as 30"x72" or 36"x72"; some with fixed heights (typically in the 29.5" - 30" range), or with an adjustable height (ability to fine-tune the height where you need it).

You can add monitor arms, be in the size range you're looking at, and within budget (even the really heavy duty/professional grade office furniture products).

BTW, the mention of buying used is a good idea IMHO, and is my first choice of finding something I need whenever possible.

11. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Good advice here. My ex-wife was in the office furniture business. There are deals to be had out there if you know where to look. Call around to office furniture dealers to see if they handle used. You can get great quality for much less.

12. kalex thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you nanofrog

It looks like i need a conference type table. I looked on local craigslist here in NJ and found few used once. problem is transporting them :)

I'll look around for the used ones in stores as well

13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"http://www.carettaworkspace.com/prod...s/type-21-desk"

$2,000 for that?
    That's a joke, right?

Why not go to an office-supply store and get a 30x72" conference table for $75?

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is beautiful - and extremely well designed to be functional in a modern office context. My only gripe is the desk inlay, which is a modern composite designed to look like leather, rather than real leather, which I would prefer.

Actually, I think it is beautiful, and it is an excellent example of how craftsmanship, and elegant but timeless design can be made to be perfectly compatible with the needs of a modern office. Thanks for posting this - it really is lovely, and the sort of thing I would contemplate buying.

For what it is worth, my dream desk was a (genuine) Regency writing desk which I fell in love with a few years ago, but failed to put a deposit on it before someone else snatched it up, as I was living abroad at the time.

Because some people like to be surrounded by elegance and beauty in their work space.

This forum exists - primarily - to discuss matters Mac. From what I can see, one of the reasons people buy Macs (one, and not by any means the only one) is that they are beautifully designed computing devices - they look good, they feel good, and it is a pleasure to use them.

Well, given that Macs (at their best) represent the computing equivalent of that fusion which defines design nirvana, a fusion where form and function merge, (and that members of this forum recognise that), I confess to some surprise that exquisite and carefully crafted design in areas that matter to those of us who spend hours hunched over computer screens, you know, tables and chairs and such like, are not more widely appreciated.

15. Acorn, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

16. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I replaced a small glass desk with this desk from ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99806947/

It has great space and it's birch veneer. I love it, and it's inexpensive at $160

17. theSeb, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

What about something from Herman Miller? Maybe the Abak or Sense desk?

18. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I'd always wondered about trying out a standing desk.

19. kalex thread starter macrumors 65816

Trying to to spend that much on it.

maybe for 10-15 minutes but I don't think i can do it for the entire day specially gaming

----------

Hmm looks not bad. I guess I got a trip to Ikea coming up :)

20. astrorider macrumors 6502

21. kalex thread starter macrumors 65816

22. dmax35 macrumors 6502

Because it looks like a something that came from a yard sale. 2K for that desk is cheap for a solid wood desk.