Looking for Coolbook Fix for Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by IJBrekke, Oct 27, 2011.

1. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

Upgraded to Lion to use iCloud, and now I've lost the use of Coolbook, my favorite program for the MBA. Any workarounds discovered yet? Thanks for your help.

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

you do realize the apps like coolbook or SMCfancontrol are bad for your mac right? They can screw with the SMC and power management of the unit as well as your battery life.

3. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Huh? I've used these two programs for several years on two different macs, and no problems here. You actually get LONGER battery life using coolbookcontroller. To bad it doesn't work for Lion and iX- cpus.

4. yegon, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

yegon macrumors 68020

Lol, I've used smcfancontrol on 4 different macs, never caused any problems. I'd still use coolbook if it worked with i7 processors :(, worked a charm on my old c2d's.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This.

These kind of apps are banned at our workplace because we always see an increase in breakdowns on units running these types of apps. (They're on Windows machines where I work).

In most cases the computer knows better than the user when and how to cool itself.

6. yegon, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

yegon macrumors 68020

On my late 08 mbp, using Handbrake would occasionally send my temps to about 100 degrees while the fans were, ludicrously, only at about 3500 rpm. Whack it up to max, 6200 rpm, and my temps went down to about 70-80. I've used that same mbp for 3.5 years now, never had any problems* related to fans/smc etc.

Play any kind of game and the mbp barely kicks in the fans despite the top left of the keyboard being almost untouchably hot. Again, enter smcfancontrol.

*Had a new trackpad and dvd drive fitted via Apple Care, but it's hardly related.

Edit: Actually, rereading your post chrono1081, it makes sense that it's probably a bad idea in the workplace because the average joe hasn't a clue, better to go vanilla. I still believe it's an essential app for the personal user though, everyone I know who has a mac uses it without issue and has done for years.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Some programs do directly interact with SMC, however SMC fan control is simply an executable program and has no permanent effect on the system once removed.

I run very few third party utility apps, SMC fan control is one of them, the software is very stable, tried & proven, and it definitely wont damage your Mac. having the option to manually control the systems fan rpm`s has several benefits, allowing preemptive cooling, an extra 500 - 1000 rpm can make a big difference to those of us who have to live with high ambient temperatures, increased cooling under charging, dust is the killer of all fans, by being able to "max out" the fans from time to time can help disloge much of it.

SMC fan control does not override Apple default ramp up points, nor does it allow you to reduce the fan rpm below the minimum default value

8. IJBrekke thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

So no word on when a Lion fix for Coolbook might happen? I'm actually considering downgrading because, for what I use my Air for, lower temps and better battery life are more important than any new features of Lion.

9. calvol macrumors 6502a

That's why I'm sticking with SL and CoolBook with my 2010 Air for now, Lion seems like overkill for basic use.

10. raftr macrumors regular

CoolBook is what actually made my 2007 MBP usable, without it it would overheat constantly (I used it in clamshell mode, this surely wasn't helping to dissipate the heat).

11. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

HAH! Say that to the face of any revA Air user!