Looking for decent yet not overly expensive HDD enclosure

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hallux, Aug 8, 2014.

1. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I'm seriously considering selling my home-built desktop that I built for gaming. I'm just not using it much for actual gaming anymore and it's becoming a VERY expensive way (electricity-wise) to host media files for consumption on my MBP over the network.

My plan is to grab a Mac Mini (sale of the desktop would offset this cost), bump the RAM to 8 GB and grab an external USB 3.0 enclosure for the HDDs in the desktop. I'm selling the desktop with NO storage devices and will use the OCZ Vertex 3 from that in the Mac Mini for the OS and the 64-bit Win 7 license from the desktop for Bootcamp on the MBP to satisfy my gaming desires.

I was looking at this Mediasonic unit because of the cost and that it'll give me expansion room, plus recent reviews seem to be decent. I'd say $150 would be about my limit on the enclosure, beyond that and I'd just grab individual ones for each drive. I have no experience with multi-drive enclosures, I'm hoping someone that knows more about them can chime in.

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I had one of these that I gave to a friend when I bought a RAID system to backup my files. It worked really well. That said I never put my Mac to sleep, so I don't know how well it responds to Macs sleeping/waking...

3. hallux thread starter macrumors 68020

hallux

Thanks. The specs say it supports 10.3 and later, I can't imagine it would be an issue.

4. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

It may be an issue if you allow the mini to hibernate. If so, either kill hibernation or leave it on all the time.

5. hallux thread starter macrumors 68020

hallux

matreya, do you happen to know what the power draw was? I can't imagine the draw of the combined setup will be more than the desktop that I'm currently using but a NAS may be a more power-efficient solution (which is the ultimate goal).

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

No idea, but I can't imagine it's much more than the combined power draw of the HDDs inside it, given it's only driving a fan, a controller board and 4 LEDs.