Looking for display suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Will G., Jan 24, 2009.

1. Will G. macrumors member

I need a new monitor for my Mac Pro. I've been using a 22" cinema display (the one introduced July 2000) until now, but it's been flashing at times and will probably break soon. I've already done a search and read through several threads, but since I know nothing about screens these days I just wanted to see if anyone could offer some suggestions for me.

I'm looking for something around the same size as my old one. I'll be using it for photography and digital art (and more general-purpose things - a few games, movies, web browsing - though I wouldn't want them to affect my decision).

I'd prefer a LED backlit screen, but that isn't absolutely required. I was looking at Eizo's FlexScan EV2411W as one option.

Any thoughts?

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you're looking at an Eizo, why not go with another vendor (decent), in a 24" for the native resolution?

If you're willing to consider this, you might want to look at the NEC LCD2490WUXi. Not LED backlit, but a really good professional monitor. S-IPS (some sites list H-IPS), 12 BIT Look Up Tables, and a few other nice features. They can be had on the street for ~$1k - $1050. Reviews speak highly about them, as do other forum members.

Also, if you do a search, there's a couple of threads or so, that cover manufacturer's products. Worth the search IMO, as you may get answers faster.

3. Will G. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. Searching through all the information was a little overwhelming at first, which is why I created this thread, but I've looked some more now and I feel like I have a better idea of the options.

I'll definitely consider the NEC display you mentioned. I've been reading comments about it on the dpreview.com forums as well and it seems to be a very popular choice.

Quick question (to anyone): are there any good LED displays you'd recommend? The Eizo I mentioned is one of the only ones I could find, and even with that I haven't found any online retailers selling it, just some articles that listed the price as around $800. I might get Apple's if it wasn’t glossy and only for laptops. But most other ones I've read about seem to be not released yet.

4. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I've heard pretty decent things about the Viewsonic VLED221wm, but haven't seen it in person. Should run around $450.